6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 9, 2023 1:05:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
At last getting his forty hours for the week in, Josh had a day or two he could relax and at last catch up with people after the horrible single-day war. Though the detective was stuck in his office, they had agreed to meet there. He would have preferred for the meeting to be closer to Mauville, avoiding a fairly long flight on Alphamax. The shriek of Garchomp bio-thrusters could have been enough of a warning for Navy to know of his partner's arrival.

Touching down at port, Josh switched ride Pokémon to Raikiri, in his mind the fallen Johto Beast in another body. The city was still not in good shape after the war, but most roads were functional, whether it be for Pokémon or for vehicles. It didn't take him too long to find the PI's office. Dismounting Raikiri, Josh headed inside and followed the directory to Navy's office before attempting to get his attention with a gentle knock.

{WC: 164}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Raikiri         Zeraora            Good
Alphamax        Garchomp           Good
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 10, 2023 17:33:03 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

There’s a lot to love about Dewford Town. It’s small, but expansive. There’s so much more space for every single resident. On paper, he’s here helping out League officers in the area in the aftermath of the battle for the Seal Stone. In practice, he’s testing the waters – seeing if he wants to commit to the offer put on the table by the League. Ironic that he’s meeting Josh today. The man’s the first gym leader Navy met – by far the most active person acting solely in the capacity of that job.[break][break]

The office they’ve comped him for now has a nice view of the beach. He’s never far from the beach in Dewford. Slateport bills itself as a city by the sea. Unovan movies paint a picture of a beautiful party city that never sleeps. Truth is, the Virbank picture of life in Slateport ends about a quarter of a mile inland. Dewford…[break][break]

It’s the real deal. Beautiful. A seaside paradise.[break][break]

In the depths of its waters lurk terrors. Terrors that some will seek to exploit on both sides. That, too, he has the chance to change. Either a man tests himself against the tide or he inevitably finds himself coasting with the current.[break][break]

When he hears the sound of an approaching Jet, Navy knows it is Josh. He does not know how the creature under him does not kill Josh. Some part of him, the part of his soul that is forever the Black Dragon’s, looks down on that beast for letting someone ride his back. A warrior dragon never shows his back, not to anyone.[break][break]

The simple answer is that Alphamax is no true dragon, but a cage-fed princeling raised from an egg and told the world is his. Removed from nature and its violent self-regulation, he is nurtured and allowed a far gentler nature than the monster that sired him.[break][break]

Such intrusive thoughts are pushed away as Navy answers the door. He’s smiling. In contrast to the man Josh saw in the cave, Navy looks good. His clothes are clean. Shoes are shined. In contrast to the fearful, frantic way he carried himself down in the caves, he looks confident. In his stride is a confident swagger.[break][break]

Yo, Josh. Good to see ya, man. Come in.” He waves the fastest man in Hoenn into his new office. New as it is, it lacks all the little intricacies that mark someone has marked a lair space as their own. Kicking his feet up, sipping on a soda, he waves to a mini fridge.[break][break]

Help yourself to a Dr Salt Neo. How’ve you been, man? I’m glad we finally have a chance to talk. I was in the hospital for a week after what happened down in the caves.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]

[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 11, 2023 6:14:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The confidence Navy had was that of a true hero. Confidence the Master of Faster wished he had in the moment. While the office space was plain, that was to be expected, given how new Navy was to his role in Dewford. "I heard you applied to be a Gym Leader. I hope you get selected; you're such a good candidate. Maybe I'll come by and give you a challenge, if the League will let me. I'm already taking my Champion Assessment, and there are regulations surrounding Gym challengers who have already qualified for the Champion Assessment."

When offered a beverage, Josh walked over to the mini-fridge and took a look inside. "Do you care if I grab a bottle of water instead? I can't have anything carbonated. Medical reasons." Provided Navy approved, Josh would take his bottle of ice water and sit down at his friend's desk. "I'm sorry to vent in front of you, but I've had some... serious stuff go down. You might be aware that I have been suspended from taking challenges at my Gym for six months. The League will fill you in soon, as I'm confident that you'll be accepted as a Gym Leader. That's why I came to you. You're one of the few people I can trust with this."

With that, he showed the Dewford Gym Leader candidate a copy of his deposition, a pained look on his face. It was a look of frustration not with others, but with himself. "I know this is really hard to believe, but... that day, I let my greatest desire control me. You might already know what that is." His face became increasingly flush as he continued. No matter how many people he want to for help, the weight of his misdeeds crushed him like a Pokémon using BODY PRESS.

{WC: 306}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 11, 2023 10:28:36 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

His silence goes on and on. He reads the report. Navy’s eyes read each line one by one. Every detail is committed to the confines of his mind, filed away. This is…[break]
Josh, why would you wanna hurt Eris?” He asks a question whose answer he begins to suspect already. Sitting on his desk is a big, boxy computer. With duty comes privilege. Privileges like opened doors. Loud tapping keys him into a database a civilian detective could only dream of. Eris, Eris…[break]
Oh, Arceus.[break]
Oh.[break]
Arceus.
Everything is there, all the little secrets that irrevocably change the nature of his friendship with the girl forever. No longer a mere adventurer tilting at windmills with him, but a victim of Rocket from a young age. The way she reacted to those Beedrills…[break]
It all makes sense.[break]
Let me offer you some free advice. I’ve been in the grieving game for a long time. Being mad at the world doesn’t give you an excuse to be a shitty person. I’m sure it made sense in the heat of the moment - but you gotta live with what comes after. You’ve probably been told everything there is to say already so..”[break]
His gunmetal eyes are stern, looking at Josh with unerring focus. No looking away, no slight diversions. Navy looks into Josh’s dark eyes. There’s just one question to ask.[break]
What’s next?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 12, 2023 8:14:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Unlike with many of his other interactions on this sensitive topic, by now, Josh had already come to terms with himself and with everyone else. "You're absolutely right. It's sad that it took people as powerful as and to knock some sense into me. But it was with their leadership that I finally came to terms not just with the League. Not just with Eris. With myself." If there was enough room in Navy's office, Josh would let Raikiri stretch; otherwise, he would simply recall the thundercat. He showed the PI a large, Zeraora-inflicted bruise on his arm.

"That's how much it took for me to come to terms with myself. To forgive myself. I became so much of a fanatic for Raikou in the past thirteen years, but especially in the past year, that I completely forgot why I was doing what I was doing. My Gym is my pride. My joy. My life. And having that taken away from me made me feel empty. Almost like I had no purpose to live."

He would never let his memories with go. And who knows? Maybe he'd get another ride on the Raikou-familiar again on an important mission for the League. "And that time to reflect made me understand several things. Several things about not only what being a Gym Leader means, but what being a trainer means, and what being a Hoennian means. It means to be yourself and do your best at what you do every day. For thirteen years, I conditioned myself to be the person I thought Raikou would want to see. I tried to be someone I wasn't, all for the sake of getting a god to have pity on me."

He wanted to play the role of the Hero of Johto more than anything. He wanted to be at the center of the action there. He wanted to claim he forged a bond with the fastest Pokémon in the world. It was the words of Hoenn's finest Councilman and Commissioner that convinced him he was going about it the wrong way. Furthermore, 's words in particular hit him hard. The notion that unlike most Pokémon, friendship with the divine was not a two-way street, casting their Avatars aside when they were no longer useful to them.

"I tried to give up the chase once. When I got to ride 's Raikou-familiar last winter, it was the happiest moment of my life. Then just a few weeks later, when I went on vacation to visit my family back in Johto, I found a memorial at Ecruteak City's Burned Tower, dated around the time of the Kanto War. I wanted to know who within Rocket was responsible for killing Raikou. And that's what led me to attack Eris."

{WC: 467}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 12, 2023 8:45:15 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

What a mess. It’s a terrible thing, to lose yourself in a delusion. Navy finds it hard to relate. Having never had much faith in the divine, he finds Josh’s fanatical faith in something beyond himself…terrifying. Yes, that’s the only word for it.[break][break]
And you…thought that Eris, a fourteen year old girl, would know that?” He’s trying to be the bigger man. Badgering his new co-worker isn’t fruitful. They have to keep Hoenn safe together.[break][break]
She’s a victim, man. You ever read her file? Reads to me like she got kidnapped. Brainwashed. Child soldier.” He finds the tale frighteningly similar to ’s story. Neither Tsubaki nor Eris seem to have been given much agency in their own destiny.[break][break]
Josh…Raikou didn’t even know you exist. Gabe was my brother. I’ve done some stuff I’m not proud of since he died but this…” It’s two cardinal sins. He hurt a woman, and he hurt a child. Two things he can’t stand rolled into one.[break][break]
Those words are pretty Josh, but words don’t mean shit. What are you going to do next?

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 12, 2023 9:04:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Navy had hit the nail on the head of why victimizing Eris was the biggest mistake Josh had ever made. He had thought, in his moment of vehement rage, that she was in Kanto when it happened. That she had all the answers. He had thought all of Rocket was the same. That they all had the answer he so desperately sought. It would likely be a mystery he would never get to the bottom of, as those like who likely knew were far too powerful for Josh to confront directly, even if he had Raikou at his side. After all, if that Shadow Lugia could shock even a Zeraora to near-death, what was stopping it from doing the same to Raikou?

"Navy, I know," Josh nodded. "Talking to this many people about it has made me realize there's a big difference between Rocket the organization and the people within Rocket. When I did what I did to her, I did not understand that."

When Navy repeated his question, Josh cleared his throat. Raikiri gave his trainer a gentle pat on the shoulder. "I still want to research Raikou. But I won't chase him anymore. If he truly wants me as a partner, he knows where to find me. I already accepted after leaving 's office that there is nothing more I can do for Eris, and I'm already serving restitution for the League. And the way I'm forgiving myself is... by stopping trying to be someone I'm not just for the sake of trying to get Raikou's attention. Raikou wouldn't want anything to do with me as I was for the last thirteen years, anyway. I know I'm not getting those thirteen years back. That's why I want to leave them, and the person I was then, behind."

Josh shook his head. "Plus, I've got Mauville to take care of. Ever since killed my Interim Gym Leader, the next one I named is absolutely clueless how to battle at a high level. September can't get here fast enough, really."

{WC: 342}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 12, 2023 18:47:30 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

I used to have a dumb dream when I was a kid.” He admits something to Josh that he’s never, ever admitted to anyone. Not to Gabe, not to Kyle, not to his parents.[break][break]

When my dad would hit me, I’d always pretend Rayquaza would come and save me. You know the stories. When Kyogre and Groudon fought, he’d make peace. Make a better world. I liked to pretend I was riding on his back. We’d make things better together.”[break][break]

A daydream from another life, steeped in Slateport smokes and human excrement.[break][break]

But I grew up, Josh. I can’t tell you how to think, but if I were you, I’d put Raikou out of your head. War’s coming. One day, this big gang war between League and Rocket’s gonna come to a head. The world’s gonna almost end again – probably before the the year’s out. Hoenn needs you. It needs you focused. Look at it like this…”[break][break]

He feels like he’s talking to Gabe again. Trying to get a lesson through his brother’s head. Josh is straightforward like Gabe was. He always says exactly how he feels, for better or worse.[break][break]

Raikou’s fast, yeah? Fastest Pokemon alive. Well, every moment you spend on him, you’re standing still. You gotta figure out who you are without Raikou in the picture. No research. No BS. Just live your life. Focus on what matters. Oh, and Josh—”[break][break]

He ends it with a joke. He smiles at her.[break][break]

September really can’t get here quick enough. That chick you’ve got running your gym ain’t ready.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 2:40:21 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed Navy had a childhood dream, too. Unlike him, it took Josh thirteen years to grow out of his. "Funny you speak of Rayquaza. I did get to ride on their back once. It's another amazing memory I won't ever forget... even if it made me throw up by the end." Even the Master of Faster had his limits, and the back half of a DRAGON ASCENT was too much for him to handle. The story made him smile, as though he was talking to his childhood self.

The grim prospects of war with Team Rocket, and another apocalypse to come no thanks to losing the SEAL STONE, were chilling to think about. It was an inevitability. "No wonder Hoenn's Gym Leadership is such a revolving door. Now I get why it was relatively easy to get in compared to other regions. Any other region would decline me for lack of leadership skills, I imagine," Josh speculated. Only League higher-ups, beyond Gym Leaders, had any idea of the process to evaluate Gym Leader candidates.

Navy's anecdote about Raikou turned Josh's frown upside down. "You see, that's exactly it. I already talked to and about this. And they've both taught me a really hard lesson: do what I can to be the best Gym Leader -- no, the best person -- that I can be, and let Raikou come to me. I'm sure my ability to tolerate high speeds is a plus to him."

The joke made him laugh for the first time all day. "Oh, Jackie? No, she is not. I watched most of your battle, remember? She's a good racer, and she joins me in most of the racing challenges I do. She just can't battle worth a damn. In order to lead Mauville Gym, you have to be good at both." He breathed a deep sigh. "The money hurt. Not being able to be a Champion until 2025 hurts. All of it hurts. Having to work in the slums for 4,000 hours sucks. But none of it hurts more than being away from my Gym." His breathing grew heavier at that last admission. "It hurts to see what that Gym has turned into: from one of the toughest Gyms in Hoenn to... a fuckin' laughingstock." Anyone who knew Josh knew how seldom he cursed. He truly saved it for special occasions when extra emphasis was needed. This was one of them.

{WC: 405}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 2:55:20 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Ever the career big brother, Navy listens. His fingers are crossed. His eyes focused on Josh’s, taking in the minutia of his face. Somewhere along the way, Navy’s expression turns cold.[break][break]
It’s an innocent thing, really. Josh couldn’t know details of his past, any more than he could have known how hurt Eris had been by life itself. All the same, the anger is there.[break][break]
Four thousand hours in the slums, huh?” Navy’s voice starts cool. “I grew up in those slums, Josh. Fought every day to keep the gangs away from my house. Fought to keep my brother off the streets and out of foster care.” He rubs the bridge of his nose, trying not to dwell too much on that. It’s beside the point. Just another case of the League not understanding the problems with Slateport’s lower half. Crime running rampant, precincts that have more in common with sewers than their brothers in the richer parts of the city…[break][break]
And what about Eris, Josh? I met her. Good kid. We worked together, actually. Helped stop a big angry swarm of Beedrills from tearing Petalburg apart. Arceus, the way she kept shaking at the sight of those Beedrills. One nearly killed me and she had a panic attack…” There’s heat now. Growing.[break][break]
You’re sitting here, telling me about what all these big names have to say to you. Josh, you fucked that girl up for life. She’s already had a hard life before you came along. I don’t give a shit about Raikou, Fernando Silph, Eva Morales, Dahlia, any of them. This is about what you did to that kid. She’s in with a bad crowd, and you know what you did, Josh? You proved Rocket right. When they say the League is fucked up, they don’t gotta do anything except point at you. Your gym, man? We’re at war. You gave our enemy a powerful propaganda tool and royally fucked with a good kid’s head in the process.
[/i][/font]”[break][break]

[break][break]
[/blockquote]

[/div]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 4:07:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh's posture sunk lower and lower as Navy's story went on. Josh wasn't referring to Slateport's slums; he was referring to Mauville's. Mauville's were more like lower middle class areas in any other town. They weren't uncomfortable; it was just a lot less upscale than what the Gym Leader was used to. Plus, it was grunt work. Truly meaningless grunt work whose only purpose was to enrich the region's wealthy. As Navy went on and on, the young man realized just how sheltered of a life he had lived. His family had sent him to a religiously-affiliated school, sheltered from the secular world.

It was sheltered life that showed just how little of the cruel side of the world the Mauville Leader was exposed to. His Gym battle with Navy was another cruel wake-up call that showed just how weak he was. Perhaps not weak physically, but weak emotionally. "Wait, Beedrill...?" The mention of Beedrill made Josh cry... and perhaps a little hard to understand. "That's... the Pokémon I used against her! A Beedrill! The one Pokémon I had untamed enough to listen to me!"

The chair Josh was sitting in flew backwards as he slumped out of it, his rump hitting the floor. He was speechless: only moaning and groaning as Navy guilt tripped him. Listening to his friend's stern voice was torture. Pure torture. "YOU DON'T THINK I KNOW THIS NOW?!" Josh shouted, his mind about as gone as it was when he spoke to Fernando. It was almost as gone as it was the day he attacked Eris.

Yes, what Josh did was inexcusable. Yes, he was paying the price for it. If anything, he wasn't punished severely enough for it. But it was what the Council decided to do. He was no better than at this point. "I JUST WANT TO KNOW HOW I CAN START TO MAKE EVERYTHING RIGHT AGAIN! I KNOW WHAT I DID WAS WRONG! I JUST--"

WHAM!

And now, Josh didn't have just one arm in pain. He had two, from Raikiri whacking his other arm with his paw. "I'm sorry, Navy..." he moaned as Raikiri helped him get back up and take a seat back in the chair. He winced, his arms flaring up as he used the chair's arm rests for stability. "Some days, I wonder if I even belong in Hoenn. Like I'm not tough enough to be here. This is exactly what meant when I interviewed with him at the Pokémon League." A long pause.

"I... I need to toughen up. And I need help doing it."

{WC: 434}
{PC: 6}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 4:27:13 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Step one, Josh.” Gabe never needed a strict older brother. This is a side of Navy only for Josh and other people who have lost their way. His voice is stern, almost like a drill instructor’s. His tone is even, his pitch low. Voice steady.[break][break]
Stop thinking about this in terms of how you’re being punished. You already know you got let off light. This isn’t about you. When you talk about how much you miss your gym, you make it about you. Again, this is about Eris. And making it up to her is gonna take you a lifetime. Sometimes in life, you just have to do the best you can. She may never forgive you, but you should dedicate yourself to being someone she would want to forgive.”[break][break]
He unfurls his fingers, points at Josh. Accusing him.[break][break]
You attacked her ‘cause you’re a zealot. Don’t think about Raikou. Raikou may very well be dead. Arceus isn’t gonna just magically drop Raikou in your lap ‘cause you want him, Josh. Live for Hoenn, not for Raikou. I bet you’ve never met Raikou in the flesh, and if you have, it wasn’t for long. You see the person who rings you up at the grocery store every time you go. You see the trainers in your gym when you visit the facilities. You see your friends and your family. Live for them.”[break][break]
He stands up, goes to the window. Looks out at the shore, the seaside where his new life has begun.[break][break]
War’s coming, Josh. Or another disaster. And you’ve gotta live for Hoenn. This isn’t their fight. All these people who just wanna live their lives. You’re strong enough to help them. You just have to learn to not make everything about you.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 14, 2023 6:35:31 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
And therein was the problem. It took one of his best friends to slam it into his skull harder than Raikiri's PLASMA FISTS ever could. Whether Josh intended it to be that way or not, others' perception of him was almost always that his primary motivator to help people was to make himself look better. The more he thought about it... was it true? Was "changing the future that refused to be changed" just an alibi to meet Raikou?

The more Navy continued, the more Josh realized it was true. It was worse than being openly selfish. He wasn't truly living for those he was helping, yet his fanaticism had spiraled so far out of control that he had begun to deceive himself. Subconsciously, through his unhealthy devotion to the electric tiger, he had twisted every goal and every deed he did around it. Someone tougher would have realized that sooner, well before it became a problem. Well before Eris' life had to be ruined forever. For someone tougher, it wouldn't have taken violence from his own Pokémon. It was sad that it took Navy for him to realize how far he had fallen.

With a look of resolve on his face, Josh shook his fists. Pangs of pain shot down his arms as he clenched them, but he didn't care. While he didn't explicitly say it aloud, his facial expression could have tipped Navy off that he, at last, understood.

"...And step two?"

{WC: 243}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 2:13:11 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Step two, clean out the rooms. The ones in your head. You know why they took that gym from you? It’s because you don’t deserve it right now. You have to sit down. Be alone. Think about what matters to you. You’ve been given nothing but time to consider what’s important to you, man. You want my advice, put Raikou out of your head. Forget about him. You’ve gotta grow up. You’ve got to be a better man by the time September rolls around. I’ll help you. You’ve got other friends, too. Train. Realize what’s at stake…”[break][break]
He looks at that endless, heartless sea. How many people have drowned in its depths in just one month?[break][break]
I’ll help you train. I’ll help you fight. My brother died at Sootopolis, Josh. I know I talk about it a lot, but…” He grips the edge of the window. His knuckles are white from the strain. The room in his head that house’s Gabriel Navidson’s ghost will never go away. That smile face will haunt his heart until the day he dies.[break][break]
…I just don’t want to see that happen to you. I want you to face reality. Raikou isn’t reality. It’s a dream. Dreams are fine. They add color to life. But dreams won’t stop a bullet or a rampaging Garchomp. The only things that’ll stop stuff like that’s brains and brawn. Practical stuff. You could die, Josh.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Beyond the Passing Storm
POSTED ON May 15, 2023 7:48:47 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh listened to Navy's suggestions, finding it difficult to keep his head up. Every bit of what the warrior said was true. "I just feel so terrible. As a Gym Leader, I can positively impact the lives of so many people. Make them better trainers. Recruits into the Hoennian army, which we desperately need against Rocket right now. As a Ranger, I've saved countless lives from what otherwise would have been certain death. I've given so many a second chance at life. And yet... I have been unable to save myself." What was truly important to him? What impacted Josh day in and day out? His Gym challengers he could no longer see until September. His friends. His family. His Pokémon. Certainly not some god that he had never met in the flesh once.

"A full mental reset..." he mused. Raikiri reared up, looking like he wanted to hug and console Josh. While he preferred moving and fighting on all fours, the Zeraora was more than capable of walking upright, as well. "Raikiri..." The two embraced like a married couple, the yellow Pokémon's static electrolyzing whatever tears the young man had left. "Raikiri, thanks so much," he gently pat his partner before letting go and allowing him to fall on all fours again. Turning back to Navy, he responded with a new demeanor much closer to the one he was known for.

"Why did I chase Raikou in the first place? It had nothing to do with wanting divine power. I just wanted to ride the fastest land Pokémon in the world. And you know what? I got to measure how fast Raikou was. Not the real one, but one of Kyle's familiars that's just like the real thing. Raikiri is almost as fast. I even had the chance that day to hang up my dream. But I didn't. And that's how I got where I am now. A little extra speed is not worth that kind of price."

If Josh was standing next to Navy, he would have pat the detective on the shoulder. "I think the death of your brother and what happened to Raikou affected us in similar ways. I can tell." The offer to train Josh up for the war was met with a reversal of emotion: the first positive emotion he had shown all meeting. "Name your day and time. I'll make it work."

{WC: 402}
{PC: 8}