Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
Take Me Out to the Ballgame [M][C/NAVY]
POSTED ON Jun 10, 2023 21:44:27 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Sad part is I hate cops.” Navy laughs at the irony. He’ll be one of the few, the proud. A bona fide Sheriff, charged with keeping Dewford and its outlying routes safe. “We don’t have to get into it much, Slateport PD just sucks – especially in the lower parts of the city.” He suspects Mauville’s department is the same. Maybe not on a systematic level, but there’s always corrupt officers. Give ten people power and eight of them will at least consider how to turn a profit from that power. The others simply lack imagination.[break][break]
Heh, funny to think about you gettin’ into a chase like that. Poor criminals won’t know what hit them.” Thinking about their lives for two long, these wicked men, turns Navy’s stomach. Most are mere victims of circumstance. Few people wake up and make an active, conscious choice towards being a criminal. People fall into it. Sometimes, you look in the rear view mirror and realize you’re being chased by Josh Devlin himself.[break][break]
Guess it’ll be nice to have a change of pa—ooooh, shit!” Navy watches the ball. He jumps up. His gunmetal eyes are wide. Clinging to the edge of the booth, he watches it. Going, going…[break][break]
Gone! Holy shit, man!” The umpires are arguing down below. They gather around like bulldogs before a kennel. They’re whispering words no one else can hear. That Westwood guy seems particularly animated. Nearby, people can pre-emptively be heard booing.[break][break]
When Westwood makes the call that it’s a foul, the fans make their displeasure known. They stand up, shout, boo. Many give thumbs down and other, far ruder gestures. Some throw popcorn. One of the players and his coach approach Westwood. They bark at the much larger man. Folding his arms, his face is red on the jumbotron.[break][break]
With a gesture, he throws both men out of the game.[break][break]
Holy…moly.

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 11, 2023 2:24:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was puzzled. "If you dislike cops, then why become one?" He would have asked more, but it seemed Navy wanted to avoid the subject, so he left it at that and kept the rest of his follow-up questions to himself. Being a police officer in a large city had to be horrible. Yes, Mauville had high population density, but the city itself was relatively small. Its geographic location meant the city had to build up instead of out, and building up was incredibly cost restrictive. There truly was a realistic limit to how much the city could grow.

Police chases simply fit Josh's niche well. It was hard to outrun someone who at one point rode Pokémon at high speed for a living. In a way, thanks to his Gym, he still did. "Well, when you've got Pokémon that can outrun most commercially available cars..." he trailed off. The statement should have spoken for itself. While his highly specialized Pokémon didn't exactly excel at combat, they were good enough that, when combined with the blistering speed, caught enough foes off guard for him to be effective in battle.

The stands erupted in a cacophony of boos and hisses. As the batter spiked his helmet into the dirt, he was given the heave-ho by the home plate umpire. "I don't know what they saw. The ball clearly bounced off the left side of the foul pole. That's a fair ball. Should have been a home run. Even as someone rooting for Cherrygrove, this is a travesty." The batter was right up in Westwood's face, nearly nose-to-nose with him. "Get your money's worth, Girardi! Get your money's worth!"

It was not long before Lilycove's manager also got the boot. "We knew Harper wasn't long for this game, either. A lot of people complain about officials in sports, but it's the worst in baseball. One of the few sports where it's all too often that an umpire misses a call and throws people out of the game over it." A fly ball to shallow right center ended the 7th inning, Cherrygrove ahead by one run. Lilycove wasn't out of it by any stretch, especially not after a 4-6-3 double play ended the top of the 8th for the visiting team. "Almost got this, Navy! We just need six outs."

R  H  E
CHE    5  6  0
LIL    4 10  0

BOT 8th  0 OUT
BASES    EMPTY

{WC: 390}
{PC: 8}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Raikiri         Zeraora            Good
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 14, 2023 17:30:47 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Shaking his head, the great detective watches how things unfold. Players are tossed out. Westwood lords over all of them like this is his own private empire. Navy bursts out laughing at a certain thought, slapping his knees.[break][break]
Man, we oughtta get Rocket to hire this guy? I think Westwood’s the perfect poster child for ‘em to drive up recruitment.” He laughs so hard at this notion that a tear streams down his cheek. “Or, or, man, we could get him to be the ref at the official League matches. Imagine some poor sap having to fight Fairburne, Young, Melody, or Silph while having this chucklefuck shouting behind their back.”[break][break]
Navy’s got a broad, devil-may-care grin. Maybe it’s a tasteless joke, but there’s mirth to be found in that notion – a soldier’s mirth, sitting in a trench with a friend. Leaning back in his seat, he watches the next few swings. There’s plenty of misses. Eventually, there’s an out. The next two players, though…[break][break]
Westwood lit a fire under their ass. These guys want to play, they want to give their best, they want to put on a good show for the crowd. There’s power behind their swings. Thunks mark clean hits. Navy cheers. Suddenly, there’s two guys on the bases and one out. The next guy, perhaps seeing the immense pressure placed on him to keep up the momentum, starts choking. A strike, followed by two balls. A second strike.[break][break]
Don’t think this guy’s ever gonna finish his turn!” Yet still, he sits on the edge of his seat. This is where the fun is. This guy, even if he doesn’t quite mean to do so, is giving Navy a wonderful show.

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 6:23:01 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
All Josh could do was laugh with Navy. Though he knew the remarks were in jest, the very notion of more innocents being recruited into Rocket left a visible distaste in his mouth afterward. He didn't respond, except chuckling at the Gym Leader-elect's casual use of foul language.

The at-bat continued. Fastball, fouled back. Breaking ball, foul tip. Change-up, fouled away. Breaking ball, out of the zone up and away. Full count. The tenth pitch of the at-bat was crushed down the left field foul line, all the way into the corner for a triple. A 1-out sacrifice fly tied the game at five, with a quick strikeout ending the eighth inning. "That was a long at-bat," Josh nodded in agreement. "It's pretty rare to have a single at-bat go ten or more pitches. Hopefully we can pick up a run in the ninth, or we might be here longer than we planned. Not that I mind extra innings, but I'd love to see Cherrygrove put this one away."

While the teams changed sides for the final inning, Josh's mind wandered to Navy's future. "I'll try to sign up for your Gym Challenge as soon as it goes live. If you need help adjusting to your position, let me know, and I can help you. Being a new Gym Leader is a pain, but it's so rewarding."

R  H  E
CHE    5  6  0
LIL    5 11  0

TOP 9th  0 OUT
BASES    EMPTY

{WC: 227}
{PC: 9}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 15, 2023 7:52:32 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

By all means, man. Come on down. We’ll have ourselves a good time.” Watching the game, so focused on it that he barely turns to regard Josh, he decides to drop a hint. “You’re already Champion level within your niche, so I don’t think it’ll be as harsh on you as it would be for someone younger or less inexperienced.” He supposes that’s so vague that it’s a non-hint, but still. The point of his gym is to lean into what it means to educate. Someone has to teach the people of Hoenn harsh lessons if they mean to run off and play hero.[break][break]
Man, bases are loaded and it’s the bottom of the ninth.” He remarks a few minutes later. The tension in the air is thick. Navy could fillet this tension, make stake out of it. For a minor league game, this has all the makings a memorable story. Two home runs have loaded the score. They’re more or less tied. It all comes down to if some of these boys down at the bottom can manage to get another miracle.[break][break]
One guy ends up walking. The next manages to confound the outfield so much that they end up with two bases. It boils down to a battle between the pitcher and the opposing team. Strike one, two, three. Like a robot, like clockwork. The next batter is out. He didn’t even stand a chance. There’s a warrior’s focus in the pitcher’s eyes. This hinges on him now. He has to play his best. This is no Pokemon stadium, no championship match, but this is his life.[break][break]
Once again, like clockwork. One, two, three. You’re out! No one can deny Westwood’s making the right calls for once in his illustrious career. It all comes down to two men. One, a smiling dark-skinned man who looks at ease with the bat. The other, this warrior pitcher. Each sways, readying themselves for the coming battle – for this is a battle, make no mistake.[break][break]
Ball, ball, strike, a foul. The crowd goes crazy at the foul, thinking that it might be over. When the footage is played back on the Jumbotron, even the staunchest Westwood hater can’t deny that call, too, is the right one. Another strike. Another ball.[break][break]
So it’s down to this. Two strikes, three balls, one foul. Spitting beneath his feet, the pitcher meets the batter’s eyes. It all comes down to his, like two samurai swinging their blades.[break][break]
The bat hits the ball. It soars. It could go [break][break]
All[break]
The[break]
Way.[break][break]
Good! Navy knows as the stadium explodes that he just watched a man earn his ticket to the major leagues. Every scout in this stadium’s going to talk about him after that.[break][break]
Holy shit…” Is all Navy can manage.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,114 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 5:17:42 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Isn't everyone Champion Rank within their niche, though?" Josh asked only half in jest. The other half was his humble pie; that tendency of his to downplay his own accomplishments while overstating the accomplishments of others. It was a good trait to have, but he had a track record of overdoing it. It was something he had to quell before he could become a Champion, as this humility leaked into and compromised his self-confidence. "Thanks - it should be fun, win or lose. I'm already qualified for the Pokémon League, so the stakes aren't quite as high. I think it'll be more like a challenge of your worthiness as a Gym Leader, heh," he snickered.

And just like that, a three run shot to deep right center field ended the game. The Lilycove crowd's roar was so loud that it even shook their suite a little. "As much as I prefer to watch games on television, there truly is something else about the electrifying atmosphere of a live game. It's not something I'd like to do regularly, but this has been a fun one. It helps that the game was really good."

Josh watched the benches clear, teams congratulating each other on a well-fought game. "This is why minor league games can be just as special. You rarely see this kind of sportsmanship in the major league. Even with all the terrible officiating, the players still have respect for one another."

Finishing the last of his food, Josh stood up, withdrew Raikiri, and gestured toward the door of their suite. "This has been a great day. We'll need to spend some quality time together like this again. Now, how about we get outta here, saddle up, and head home? Mauville is kind of on the way to Dewford. We can spend a little more time together before going our separate ways."

R  H  E
CHE    5  6  0
LIL    8 13  0

FINAL

{WC: 311}
{PC: 10}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,269 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
POSTED ON Jun 16, 2023 21:26:50 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Couldn’t agree more, Josh.” Navy says as he moves with the gym leader to beat the rush. Luckily for them, they’re afforded special privileges – like first dibs on access to flight lanes. Releasing Ironsides from his ball, Navy is free to take to the air, soaring above the crowds. Assuming Josh has a flying Pokemon, because Josh always has a Pokemon that can keep up with him, he orders Ironsides to slow down and talks to his friend.[break][break]
It was a good game. When the world series kicks up in the fall, we’ve gotta catch some games. Hell, I’d splurge for a trip to Johto to watch some.” He’d say Kanto, but going to Kanto as a pair of gym leaders would be suicide. Even with all their firepower, they’d be overwhelmed. A shame, too. Kanto’s baseball teams were always fun to watch. Nobody can throw quite like the pitcher of the Pewter Pugilists. The Cerulean Ceruledge’s catch is second to none.[break][break]
There’s a casualty of this war he didn’t expect to think about: baseball. A grim reminder of the stakes. It’s not just lives Rocket seeps away, it’s culture.[break][break]
Food for thought.[break][break]
Just remember somethin’, Josh. They don’t hand out badges for nothing. You’ve got worth as a trainer. You help out during the raids. Don’t be so down on yourself. Just ‘cause Young beat you once doesn’t mean he’s gonna keep beating you. Just come back with a clear and a new strategy.” From across the wings of the other Pokemon, Navy gives Josh a big thumbs up.[break][break]
You’ve got this.” And like that, they’re parting ways. Dewford’s down south, Mauville’s further north. The road splits. Luckily, it’s not too long of a journey by air. Navy listens to music, lets his thoughts drift. Readies himself for tomorrow. Another day of prepping his gym awaits him.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,014 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jun 18, 2023 20:32:00 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: