6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 3:10:16 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
After being trounced by not one, not two, but three of the Elite Four, it came to light that Josh was simply not as ready for his Champion Assessment as he thought he was. He needed to go back to the drawing board. Back to the Gym circult, even. He had mentored so many Gym Leaders in the Minor League that he had forgotten just how difficult the Gym Challenge can be. Plus, he promised a rematch once the dragon trainer had taken office.

This would put Navy to the test, too, given his first challenger was a trainer who had already qualified for the League. The purpose of his challenge, though, was not just to prepare him for the Champion Assessment. As the two had discussed, both in his office and at the baseball game, Champion was in and of itself a meaningless title. What mattered was the experiences one learned from to get there.

Sliding off his Luxray's back, Josh walked into the Gym Leader's lobby, checked in, and took a seat next to his Pokémon if there was room for the quite-large electric cat.

{WC: 189}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES            STATUS
Blitz           Luxray             Good
Aslan           Pyroar**           Good
Twilight        Absol              Good
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 5, 2023 3:29:41 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Day one comes. Opening day. Everything’s more or less like he predicted. While Josh waits, the gym trainers he hired are keeping the townsfolk entertained down on the beach. They’re exhibition matches for the next few people – stuff to get them warmed up before the real show. Maybe that’s why there’s no one in the waiting room besides the smiling receptionist.[break][break]
Josh barely has time to adjust to the chair beside a wall replete with crayon drawings before he’s called. Navy walks out, wearing the same clothes he always wears. His famous dark blue jacket, the red shirt underneath. Hair done up with its spike, a smile that only edges his gunmetal eyes.[break][break]
Man, you weren’t lying when you said you’d be the first one through the door.” Navy chuckles. He seems to be in a good mood on opening day. With a wave of a gloved hand, he callss Josh over. The other side of the door is…positively plain.[break][break]
It’s just a simple battle pitch. Nothing more, nothing less. No audience. Not much space outside of the pitch either inside this perfectly square room. Navy, as per gym leader tradition, takes up the post on the far side, away from the door. Josh is afforded the privilege to stand as the challenger.[break][break]
So, tell me something. We don’t have to start right away. Why d’you think you’ve lost to every elite 4 you’ve fought so far?

[break][break]

[attr="class","pokeclass"]

[attr="class","credit"]milky

[newclass=.arties]font:11px roboto;--accent:#9efffe;[/newclass]

[newclass=.arties b]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties i]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties a]text-transform:uppercase; font-weight:bold[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass]text-align:right; width:520px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties]position:relative;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2023 5:10:10 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"They do call me the Master of Faster, after all!" Josh snidely replied, a smile growing on his face. That smile would be short-lived when Navy, as usual, asked Josh a very tough question as he and his Luxray were led to the plain battle arena. And he had thought Callan's underground fighting area was plain... this was even more so. Blitz could sense Josh was troubled about his losses.

"Because they're all better trainers than I am. Especially Callan. It's not even close." It sounded like an admission of total defeat. "The other two matches were closer. My match with was painfully close. I think that one's winnable. Matias, winnable with some work. Callan, though? How he isn't Hoenn's Top Champion I don't understand. He clean swept me. Made a Mankey out of me. My Pokémon couldn't even so much as scratch his. You know how some Pokémon can DISGUISE themselves, like a Mimikyu can? His Slaking can. I haven't the slightest clue how to simultaneously prepare for that and a team centered around Trick Room." Even if he could come up with a plan, would let him execute that plan? What was stopping the Elite Four from bringing an entirely different roster of Pokémon?

"They're the region's elite for a reason," he started, but could not finish his sentence. The words simply weren't coming to the forefront of his mind. "I want to prove myself to the League that I can handle high pressure situations by becoming among Hoenn's Champions. And yet... here I am at an impasse. And that's why I came to you. To get better. It just seems so... impossible at my current skill level."

{WC: 285}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
In the warrior's code, there's no surrender. Though his body says stop, his spirit cries, "NEVER!"
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 6, 2023 11:52:50 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Sounds to me like Young’s good at counter-picking.[break][break]
Navy muses on this, but doesn’t voice the thought to Josh. It’s good intel for his own inevitable struggle with the Elite 4.[break][break]
Instead, he puts on the face of a gym leader. It’s a slippery mask. Navy hasn’t mastered its intricacies yet. How could he, when this is his first day truly wearing the thing? He recalls another lifetime, serving as a nobleman under Queen Penelope and King Ollie. Donning that face, it serves well enough.[break][break]
…you’re not bad. Chairwoman Goode wouldn’t have approved your appointment if you weren’t good. Councilman Silph wouldn’t have ended your suspension early.” There’s bile, try as he might to not let it seep in, at the mention of Fernando Silph. Gym Leader Navy is the latest in a long line of men that man has made an enemy of.[break][break]
But you’re childish. You’re probably more reliant on structure than anybody I’ve ever met. You’re an excellent gym leader…but you need to be more than that, if you wanna be a Champ in Hoenn.” Closing his eyes, he thinks back to the look in the eyes of every Elite 4 he’s seen fight, both on television and in real live battle.[break][break]
Melody…Young…Fairburne…Connors…Matias Silph…Lopez himself. They’re all fighting for something. They’ve each got stuff they’d put everything, even their lives, on the line for…”[break][break]
He presses a button. The ground rumbles. The pitch begins sink. Around them is steel as they sink to some unknown depth.[break][break]
Tell me, Josh. What are you fighting for?

[break][break]

[newclass=.arties .pokesprite]color:#32a852; background:rgba(0,0,0,0.1);border:1px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.2); margin-right:10px; margin-top:5px; padding:5px; filter:grayscale(90%); transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pkspr:hover]background:rgba(0,0,0,0.2); filter:none; transition:0.5s all;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img]background:#2b2b2b;border-radius:100px; border:1px solid #solid 1px #232323; border:1px solid #232323; margin-top:-30px; padding-bottom:12px; transition:1.5s; margin-left:8px; box-shadow:2px 2px transparent;[/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .pokeclass img:hover]background:var(--accent); transition:1s all; box-shadow:2px 2px #232323 [/newclass]
[newclass=.arties .credit]font:bold 15px poppins; transform:rotate(90deg); position:absolute; bottom:55px; right:45px; color:rgb(65,65,65); text-shadow: -1px -1px 0 #232323, 1px -1px 0 #232323, -1px 1px 0 #232323, 1px 1px 0 #232323;[/newclass]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 7, 2023 6:02:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I think it may have been more of necessity of having someone competent running the Gym than anything else," Josh replied, again downplaying his own milestones and achievements not only as a Gym Leader, but as a warrior of the League. It may have been painful to Navy how much Josh seemed to insist on downplaying his own successes and blowing his own shortcomings out of proportion. At times he would even dig up dirt on himself. A selfless person that would try to save everyone except himself. He could positivity in almost anyone except himself.

"And you're absolutely right on that, too," Josh admitted. "One of my best strengths is optimizing a task within a predefined set of rules. Give me restrictions, and I'll work around them."

As the elevator to the underground Gym arena lowered, Navy asked Josh a biting question, one he had given little thought after the debacle with Eris. "Had you asked me that question five months ago, you'd get a very simple answer: Raikou. It's more complicated than that now, though. I still want to see Rocket razed to the ground. But I also don't want to see those who only do dirty deeds to survive be razed with those who are actually a problem. Navy, I'm still fighting for my family that I nearly lost to Team Rocket. But since my suspension, I've realized that there are other important things to fight for."

He shifted the topic. "Before I fully answer your question, I want to ask you a question. I promise it's related to this. Were you at 120's Ancient Tomb that day?"

{WC: 271}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 8, 2023 6:35:31 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Yeah, of course I was.” He endeavors to not patronize Josh with his note. There were more than a hundred people there that day. All of the council that wasn’t captured at the time, all four elite 4, every active gym leader, and that was just on the League’s side. Navy’s sure that if he bothered to look, he’d have found every member of Rocket’s upper staff there as well. It’s easy to lose one spiky-haired man in the chaos.[break][break]
Gonna guess you got pulled into the shield. I got thrown into the sword. Lived for twenty years running between the kingdoms delivering mail.” His voice quivers as he remembers the daughter he lost. Kris, or was it Crystal? Her face fades. The smile flickers out. All that he can remember her by is a hand-carved figurine of Zacian, which sits by him even now.[break][break]
But I guess that leads me to another question: why fight here? They’re in Johto. If you wanna protect the people who are close to you, why aren’t you close to them? Why not move back home, or move them to Hoenn? What if you’re not there the next time Rocket attacks Johto? Is that something your conscious could bear?”[break][break]
They sink far enough that Josh can see what’s below them: a vast battlefield. Rocky terrain surrounds them. This is a proper playground for Pokemon. Someone could get creative here, use speed to their advantage, or snipe from a distance. A place for warriors, not necessarily trainers.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 5:38:49 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"I did," Josh confirmed. "I got to spend ten years with... Raikou. I got to see our full potential together. We made a difference, and a big one at that. It might be a sign... but one I vowed to set aside until the right time came. I still think he's out there, just waiting until the time is right." He carried the guard of his Electro Ball sword with him like a charm, his one physical memory of the triumphant battle he fought in the saddle of the fastest Pokémon on land. He didn't hesitate to show it to the newly-minted Gym Leader, either. In the center of the guard was an engravement shaped roughly like Raikou's crown.

It was clear to Josh by now that Navy was trying to guilt-trip him. That may have worked on his past self, but the man had grown much stronger since the horrible day that changed his life forever. "That's a point the past me would have agreed with. The past me that wanted to saddle up Raikou over all else. But now I have something more important to fight for than Raikou. The people of Mauville need me." Now that Navy had been crowned a Gym Leader, he could share this information with him. "Ever since 's capture, I've had to take on a lot of her duties as a Ranger Captain. My restitution makes me ineligible to be a Ranger Captain, but I am performing many of her duties now. Almost all of Mauville is under my purview now. They need me. Especially Mauville's elderly population. They're absolutely worth fighting for."

Josh listened to yet another tough question from Navy as the elevator descended to a massive battlefield. He thought his triple regulation-sized battle court was huge; this was utterly massive, and underground at that. "They're in their sixties," he clarified. "I don't know if they could handle Hoenn at their age. Don't get me wrong, I'd love them to move here. I just don't know if it would be good for their physical and mental health to be in Mauville."

{WC: 352}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 6:01:49 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Trust me when I say…doesn’t matter how near or far you are, they’re still gonna worry.” This is no attempt to patronize, goad, or guilt. It’s an honest admission of one who has served as a parent to one who has not. “You could show up on their doorstep with Raikou, Zacian, and Rayquaza all acting like your best friends and they’d still worry about you. You’ll always be their…”[break][break]
He looks at the figure of Zacian again, carved by hands that are no real. Reaching out and touching it, he recalls the words of a song.[break][break]
A man can build his life on dreams,[break]
But it’s prudent to recall:[break]
A man with moonlight in his hands[break]
Holds nothing there at all.
[break][break]
…anyway.” He fights to keep his voice from growing emotional. They’re here on business. It won’t do either of them to dwell on what they have given up to reach this moment, where they have to test everything they have against one another. High above, hanging from the ceiling, is a ghostly chandelier.[break][break]
Rocket will try and take over Mauville, just like they took over Sootopolis. They’re coming. They’re coming for every city in Hoenn. You’re a great duelist, but like we saw in these same caves…you gotta learn how to fight on an open battlefield. So, Josh.”[break][break]
Navy picks up a pokeball, steadies himself, looks to that carved figurine and all the love it represents, and tosses out his first Pokemon.[break][break]
Show me you’ve got what it takes to defend the people you care about.”[break][break]
Grugni, his Runerigus, rises from the pokeball and roars. It is a far slower beast than whatever Josh will toss out to face him.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 7:03:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As much as Josh would have wanted to keep pleading his case to Navy, now was not the time. They had a Gym match, and it seemed to be far different than a normal one, just by virtue of the battle arena that looked more like a warzone than a standard court. The Dewford Leader, having gone through similar pain Josh did, surely knew how to stimulate that pain with surgical precision. By the time he left the underground, secluded arena, perhaps Josh could weaponize that pain rather than be crippled by it.

"Twilight, go get 'em," Josh announced his first choice of Pokémon nonchalantly lobbed the Absol's Poké Ball skyward. The stoic dark-type landed next to him, sans all of her riding gear. He had left that of all three of his Pokémon in the locker room. The last match they had, there was still a certain aura of friendliness about Josh. After losing three matches in a row to Hoenn's finest trainers, Navy may have noticed a change in the Mauville Leader's demeanor. He was out for blood. Well, as much blood as the Gym's safety protocols would allow him to take from Navy's Pokémon.

{WC: 200}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 10, 2023 9:51:53 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

Tradition dictates that it is the challenger who gets the first blow in a gym battle.[break][break]
Team Rocket doesn’t care about tradition, and neither will Navy. Above them, the chandelure sparks to life. A surge that will be all too familiar to Josh sweeps over the room. Up is down, fast is slow, high is low.[break][break]
The world revolves. On and on and on, the battlefield around the pitch spins in a maddening, beguiling trick room. has used this strategy on Josh before. Navy looks forward to seeing just Josh will think under pressure. Balling a gloved hand into a fist, he slams it against the display just below him, showing details of the battle.[break][break]
C’mon, Josh! C’mon, Twilight! Let’s see what you two have got!”[break][break]
Grugni stirs amidst the rapid spin of the world. Floating across from Twilight, his red eye begins to glow. This is not a round for overt hostility. Instead of flying forward to attack a Pokemon as monstrously strong and deceptively quick as Absol, he instead takes a slower approach. Under any ordinary circumstance, he would be far too slow. In terms of a western duel, he is slow on the draw.[break][break]
In this place, which no more obeys physics than it does League regulation, rocks explode from his body. Part of Grugni burns away to place a powerful draining curse on Twilight.[break][break]
As the inevitable counter-attack comes, the air crackles with freedom. The question, which in the end is a question asked of every human, is what they will do with that freedom?

[break][break]

+ [break][break]
Chandelure uses Trick Room[break]
Runerigus uses Curse

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2023 6:45:07 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The presence of a TRICK ROOM made the Mauville Leader grumble. Josh was no stranger to this tactic, at this point commonly employed at his Gym. All of his Pokémon could move at a good clip, but he didn't bring any that were blistering fast. Out of all of his Pokémon compatible with the QUICKINIUM-Z hidden in Blitz's fur, the Luxray was the slowest... which would turn out to be a blessing.

The translucent tack being slowly pushed into Twilight, too, made him cringe. Josh knew only one thing that would precede: a CURSE had been laid on her. He really didn't want his hand forced so early on, but he was already in big trouble. The TRICK ROOM alone wouldn't give the Mauville Leader trouble; a good Leader knew the best way to handle his Gym's obvious counters. It was the combination of the twisted space and the ticking time bomb that was the Runerigus' ethereal needle that forced him to raise his right hand to his MEGA GLOVE, the Absol spreading her false wings as she glowed with the light of MEGA EVOLUTION.

Free of the foe's curse, she did not know what to do; the angel-like feline lunged toward the ground-bound Ghost-type in a vicious NIGHT SLASH, sparing no subtleties. She had been seriously hurt when JACKIE MYERS used her in their last meeting. If she landed a critical hit that returned the favor, then so be it. She would need her SUPER LUCK to do it, too; with her greatly reduced speed, the lunge looked like it was being played back in slow motion. "You know it'll take more than Trick Room to beat me, right?" Josh scoffed.

FIELD: Trick Room (8)

{WC: 276}
{PC: 6}

Twilight        M-Absol            Good  
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2023 11:46:29 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

And what does Dewford’s gym leader do at that remark?[break][break]
He smirks. Ear to ear. Beams with pride at Josh for daring to declare something like that.[break][break]
You know what you just did, Josh?” Navy asks as Twilight lands a decisive critical hit that almost destroys Grugni in one hit. “I don’t think you do…”[break][break]
You sounded like a champion.”[break][break]
You see a dirty trick, you gotta tell ‘em that dirty trick won’t work. Rocket throws out their worst, you tell ‘em their worst doesn’t mean shit to you.”[break][break]
Grugni falls in a mere few hits. Dewford gym’s lead is thoroughly trounced before even being given time to breathe. And good for Twilight, the next trick he was planning, just to be doubly mean, was a destiny bond. Ordinarily forbidden under League regulations, Navy little cares for those regulations. Rockets certainly don’t.[break][break]
Two Pokemon fly out to replace the fallen Grugni. One of them is all too familiar to Josh: Junior, the Tyranitar that trounced his interim gym leader. The other, a Copperajah, is new. Navy has been building up his line-up for the gym. Rashid’s trunk loudly sounds. A sandstorm is kicked up, obscuring Junior for the moment.[break][break]
Junior, too, curses. His own curse does not afflict Twilight. Instead, it seems to shroud him in power at the expense of speed. Rashid rushes out across the field, endeavoring to play rough with the Mega Absol.[break][break]
Don’t lose your momentum, Champ In The Making. You keep this attitude up, you might just trounce the Elite 4 next time. Come on, man! Show me what you’ve got!

[break][break]

+ [break][break]
Runerigus faints![break]
Navy sends out Tyranitar and Copperajah[break]
Tyranitar uses Curse, increasing attack/defense and lowering speed.[break]
Copperajah rushes Mega Absol and uses Play Rough[break]
Tyanitar's ability kicks up a sandstorm[break]
Trick Room is still in play.[break]
Chandelure vibes.

[/quote]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2023 4:15:51 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh mirrored Navy's smirk. "No, really. Since I became a Gym Leader, it's one of the things I've had to overcome. It's gotten to the point where challengers have been using it less and less. Why? Because they know I know how to handle it." Perhaps that was the lesson Navy was trying to teach Josh: while rules and regulations are great for safety and competitive balance, in the war with Rocket, there were no rules. They had proven that themselves with the Kanto invasion. Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were clearly a problem to Rocket, and they were not afraid to carpet-bomb the entire region if it meant answering that problem. They were not afraid to take thousands of lives if it meant getting to what mattered to them.

It was a mentality that Josh loathed. Was right the whole time? Was the only way total war? The concept of total war made Josh shiver. What was the point of winning a war at the cost of one's own home? Knowing the answers to those questions was what made people like strong, and why, as he was, he could never go beyond being Mauville's Gym Leader. Until he became willing to get his hands truly dirty, no Patron would ever choose him. As he was, he was too soft for Hoenn.

Was leaving Eris alive a mistake?

The two Poké Balls flying out simultaneously masked one another, Junior's SAND STREAM completely masking the Copperajah. The CURSE of a different kind meant that Josh had to make a move on the Tyranitar right then and there. "NIGHT SLASH, Twilight!" Josh commanded, again reliant on his Pokémon's SUPER LUCK to pierce the Tyranitar's rock armor. A critical hit would largely nullify the type disadvantage."

That was when Josh realized Navy had no intent of fighting fair. The trumpet of the Copperajah's horn blared, the hulking Pokémon charging. Its wake nearly knocked Josh off his feet, the steel-type scooping Twilight up in its trunk, PLAYING ROUGH with her, and flinging her into the ground. Unlike when she battled under JACKIE MYERS, Dewford Gym's safety system held, preventing any bleeding or injury from occurring.

As Josh hurled Blitz's Poké Ball away from him, the Shiny Luxray looking incensed as he emerged, a titanic question came from his lips. "Navy, this was supposed to be a Singles match, right? So why are you using two Pokémon?" Without waiting for that answer, the Luxray's eyes glowed brightly, a SIGNAL BEAM flying toward the dark-type brute. While Josh's Pokémon themselves would be slowed by the TRICK ROOM, their attacks would not. That SIGNAL BEAM was coming at Junior just as fast as it otherwise would.

FIELD: Trick Room (7); Sandstorm (∞)

{WC: 457}
{PC: 7}

Twilight        Absol              KO 
close tab

played by

Teddie

Navy
He/Him
October 13th
Slateport
Heterosexual
E4; Gym Leader
Sheriff
I'd go through hell
to hold your hand
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
5'10" / 177.8 cm height
awards
3,266 posts
part of
TAG WITH @teddie
Michael Navidson
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2023 4:55:30 GMT
Michael Navidson Avatar

[nospaces]
[attr="class","arties"]

He oversees this battle like a commander standing on ramparts. The incensed question brings a serious, stern tone to his voice. This man, so often the catcher in the rye, is determined to push Josh off a cliff. That there is safety equipment at the bottom to catch him is of no consequence. He must fall, and learn that in falling there is nothing to fear.[break][break]
Do you think plays fair? Do you think any of Rocket’s bosses or beasts do? If you had to fight or , you think they’d stick to a gentleman’s agreement just ‘cause you would? You’ve got two choices, champ in the making: stick to your own morals and try to win your way, or adapt. What’s it gonna be? Sink or swim. No wrong answers. Show me what you’re about, Master of Faster!”[break][break]
Rashid, seeing the writing on the wall about what Junior is about to do, takes advantage of his vastly boosted speed to high-tail it away from the immediate vicinity of the battlefield. Scurrying away, he bides his time.[break][break]
Junior is beset on all sides. Disappointment reigns that Twilight couldn’t last longer. She seems close to Josh’s ace. The young Tyranitar hoped to have an all out brawl, but she’s down for the count. Her slash nearly cracks his armored hide. Were it not for the curse and the ample constitution of a Tyranitar, he would be down.[break][break]
But a Tyranitar is no normal creature. It is something made from devouring mountains. It is a ferocious opponent who will not lose easily. The signal beam strikes true, making him roar in outrage at the display. His tail slams into the ground and a mighty earthquake causes the whole gym to shake.[break][break]
Rashid is only spared because of how far away he ran. It is only after the Earthquake inevitably settles that he bites into the earth, digging underneath the ground. He’ll emerge later, but for now he is hidden from sight.

[break][break]

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,111 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
All's Fair in War [GYM]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2023 6:53:04 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was clear to Josh now, particularly after hearing Navy's remarks. He had tussled with the Harbinger and the Mad Dog before. The former had utilized mind control to turn his favorite Pokémon against him, and the latter had laid waste to his Gym, sending out every Pokémon on his belt in a massive battle that took his entire security force to repel. The Leader's insistence on battling with chivalry and honor had cost seven lives that day. Those were seven lives he was never getting back, and his Gym was still paying restitution for by decree of Hoennian court of law.

The Tyranitar's recoil from the SIGNAL BEAM gave Josh exactly the opportunity he needed. That rising tail was the prelude to an EARTHQUAKE that would, without a doubt, send his Luxray straight to the canvas. He had to make a move now. "Blitz, QUICK ATTACK!" Though the flex into the swift strike was slowed by the TRICK ROOM, the attack itself wasn't. Aiming for the large crack in Junior's armor, the Luxray's goal was to bring down Junior before the EARTHQUAKE's shockwave nailed him, or at the very least latch onto Junior to be out of the way of the deadly Ground-type attack. If he was unsuccessful, though, the attack would bring the electric-type down in a single blow.

Rocket didn't play fair. Navy wasn't playing fair. And from here on out, Josh wasn't playing fair. If Navy wanted to see what Josh was like at war, he would get it. It wouldn't be pretty, either.

Pulling out another Poké Ball, Josh sent out a Pokémon he didn't even have registered as part of his team for the Gym Challenge. It was his Zeraora, Raikiri. Of course, because he hadn't registered the Pokémon for the match, he didn't expect to be able to use it. He wouldn't want to, anyway. The Gym Leader took a seat on the Zeraora, his Z-GLOVE's glowing crystal masked by the sandstorm.

FIELD: Trick Room (6); Sandstorm (∞)

{WC: 333}
{PC: 8}

Raikiri         Zeraora            Good
Twilight        Absol              KO