6,124 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Minesweeper
POSTED ON May 6, 2024 6:10:26 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
In the Top Champion's absence, the Pokémon League's battle arenas had become a military exercise camp. Beneath its largest arena's vast ground was quite the daunting training mission: navigating a minefield. Or in this case, Voltorb field. Ninety-nine of them were buried beneath the oversized battle court, each of them sensitive to vibration. Were they to be touched or walked over, KABOOM!

"Doesn't this remind you of a certain popular computer game, Yuina?" Josh asked half in jest, though the similarities were there. He was seated atop Ao, his grounded Roaring Moon still recovering from the legendary golem's awful HYPER BEAM. He was out of the hospital, but he couldn't use his wings for another two months. His claws would be used for something else, though: digging. For the Voltorb put out electric fields that could be detected by digging near, but not directly above, one of them.

"Guess we're gonna have to not only step lightly, but use our brains, too."

{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Ao            Roaring Moon   Good
close tab

played by

Eps

Ina, Yu, Yuyu
She/Her
Twenty-Five
February 21
Petalburg City
Pan
Curator/Hisuian Historian
Elite Ranger
I don't want
To imagine a past, that doesn't have you in its future
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
To truly know one's self, look back on the marks you've made in history
awards
1,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @yuinahigashi
Yuina Higashi
[M][C/Yuina] Minesweeper
POSTED ON May 10, 2024 15:03:32 GMT
Yuina Higashi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","frann"]
[attr="class","franntag"]

[attr="class","frannmain"]

Standing at the edge of their given training field, Yuina looked out to what appeared to be an empty and relatively flat terrain with little else to consider, but she knew that beneath the dirt was an entire field of Voltorb ready to go off at the slightest disturbance... This was a training exercise?[break][break]
"This is uh... Some training exercise...," Yuina murmered. Did it sound effective? Sure it did, don't blow up was a very powerful motivator... But surely there was another way to practice something like this...?[break]
"So, there's a path in here somewhere that we can follow, that doesn't have any voltorb beneath," Yuina confirmed, looking from Josh to Ohm the Eelektross that levitated beside her, it sounded like this job would be well suited for taking this obstacle on.[break][break]
"I think we can skirt the edge first, see if Ohm can find a break in the electrical fields the voltorb give off, and then tread very carefully..."

notes[break]
Mission: Voltorb Obstruction (II) -> Pokemon League[break]

[attr="class","frannpoke"]

[newclass=.frann]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann div.quote_body] margin: 10px -20px -25px -20px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frannmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:65px 35px 40px 35px;text-align:justify;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=.franntag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323;  border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35);  border-top-style: solid;  border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann b] color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann i] color: #cecece; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:bold 10px Quattrocento Sans!important;letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frannpoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,124 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Minesweeper
POSTED ON May 11, 2024 3:23:02 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was an intense one, that much was certain. "We're Elite Rangers, and I'm a Champion now. I'm sure we'll eat this for breakfast!" Even so, one mistake could get the two badly hurt. Or two or three, depending on how the "game" was set up. "They did tell us that both the near corners are guaranteed to be safe. After that... anyone's guess. We just gotta use our heads and trust in our Pokémon. I'll start in one corner, and you can start in the other if you want."

It wasn't simple like the computer game, either. It wasn't like the League would paint the underground with numbers telling them how many Voltorb were nearby. Ao clawed into the ground all around until he and Josh both felt static nearby. Several distinct field of static at voltages different enough for the Roaring Moon to tell them apart.

After many long minutes of investigation, Josh was out of deductions on his end. "There's gotta be a Voltorb here or here," he pointed, "and there's gotta be another one here or here. Until I can figure out of these two out, I'm stuck on my end. You have any better luck over there?"

{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Eps

Ina, Yu, Yuyu
She/Her
Twenty-Five
February 21
Petalburg City
Pan
Curator/Hisuian Historian
Elite Ranger
I don't want
To imagine a past, that doesn't have you in its future
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
120 lbs. | 5'8" height
To truly know one's self, look back on the marks you've made in history
awards
1,260 posts
part of
TAG WITH @yuinahigashi
Yuina Higashi
[M][C/Yuina] Minesweeper
POSTED ON May 12, 2024 1:59:49 GMT
Yuina Higashi Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","frann"]
[attr="class","franntag"]

[attr="class","frannmain"]

Sure... Yeah, she was an elite ranger and Josh was a champion... But that didn't make the threat of a mine field any less prominent. Yuina drew in a steady breath though, the league was pretty intense right now, preparing for... The worst... She rathered not to think about the 'faction conflict' though.[break][break]
"Alright, yeah, this is fine," she returned, walking carefully already with Ohm at the head, moving towards the corner just as Josh had on the other side. She watched the paradox start to gingerly dig into the ground, and she wondered if she might draw out Dig the Ursaluna... Maybe if things came to a point that his keen senses might help.[break][break]
Moving forward with the eel though, Yuina watched the electric type loft through the air, and it seemed that his innate relationship with the natural electromagnetic fields of the earth might be just what they needed... She just needed to learn what his indicators meant.[break][break]
"Hmm... It looks like when Ohm hovers over a particularly potent spot of electromagnetic fields, he gets pushed higher into the air, like stronger opposing magnets being forced together... I think that means we can go this way."

notes[break]
Mission: Voltorb Obstruction (II) -> Pokemon League[break]

[attr="class","frannpoke"]

[newclass=.frann]margin: 0 auto; width: 420px; box-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #333333,-2px 2px 0px #333333,2px -2px 0px #333333,-2px -2px 0px #333333; border-radius: 5px;border: solid 1px #232323;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann div.quote_body] margin: 10px -20px -25px -20px!important;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frannmain]border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;background-color:#2b2b2b;padding:65px 35px 40px 35px;text-align:justify;font-size:10px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;font-family:poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=.franntag] text-align: right;font-weight: bold;position: absolute;padding: 10px 15px;border: solid 1px #232323;  border-top-color: rgb(35, 35, 35);  border-top-style: solid;  border-top-width: 1px;background-image: url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);border-radius: 5px 5px 0px 0px;margin: 0px 0px 0px -1px;border-top: none;background-color: #272727;width: 390px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.frann b] color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann i] color: #cecece; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann u] text-decoration: none; text-transform:uppercase; color: #00aeda; font-size: 11px;font-family:Quattrocento Sans; letter-spacing: 2px; font-weight: bold; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frann a] text-transform:uppercase!important;font:bold 10px Quattrocento Sans!important;letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.frannpoke] background-color:#272727;height:60px;background-image:url(https://image.ibb.co/dMFuMc/flower.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center right;text-align:center;padding-bottom:15px;border-radius: 0px 0px 5px 5px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,124 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
[M][C/Yuina] Minesweeper
POSTED ON May 14, 2024 3:24:50 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Yuina's exploration with Ohm provided the missing piece of the puzzle for Josh: the floating electric-type was able to detect an isolated Voltorb location through detecting electromagnetic fields. With that knowledge, he knew which of the two spots in question had Voltorb and which didn't. "Thanks, Yuina!" Josh chirped. Even Ao, normally not one to show positivity, was smiling. Was he truly understanding the paradox Pokémon now?

Josh continued to work on his side, clearing out almost to the halfway point of the western half of the Voltorb minefield. Working together, the duo had deduced the locations of nearby half the Voltorb. Knowing where they were at was only half the battle; the true goal was to find the one path through them, and a line of them stopped him from advancing. "You see this?" he asked her. "There's a whole line of them here. Can't keep going -- I'm on my way to your side."

Following Yuina's intuition, Josh reined Ao in reverse, making sure not to back into any isolated covered locations, as they were all Voltorb. "Where did you leave off? I can get to work there. With Ao's digging and your Pokémon's abilities, finding our way across this minefield should be just pattern recognition. And steady steps, of course."

{PC: 3}

WRITE REPLY

QUICK REPLY

it's a long life full of long nights