July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
Cure for What Ails Them [VALOR]
POSTED ON Sept 8, 2022 18:54:12 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"There," Julia said once she'd tied the last saddlebag to Chester. "How's that feel, buddy?"

[break][break]The Dodrio's left and right heads craned their necks to inspect their cargo. After a few moments, the middle one nodded, looking satisfied.

[break][break]"Good!" Julia clapped her hands together, proud of her work. As part of the League's VALOR initiative, Julia had been tasked with delivering medicine to a gated community in Lilycove. Many of its residents were former Sootopolis citizens who had been affected by the Darkest Day, so they were in need of whatever aid the League could provide.

[break][break]Julia wasn't alone in this endeavor, either. Although he'd recently been transferred to Mauville's Ranger division, would be helping Julia with the delivery. And with his expertise in ride Pokémon, she couldn't have asked for a better partner.

[break][break]"How you guys doing over there?" she asked. "Need any help?" She hoped there was enough storage space between their various rideable Pokémon, but if she needed to, she could send out Sparkie or Spot to carry some things with telekinesis or good ol' arm strength.

[attr="class","juliatag"]

[attr="class","julianotes"]

notes.

for the valor mission medic!

[attr="class","juliapokes"]

[newclass=.julia] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julia b] color: #d49736; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia a] text-decoration: none; color: #d49736; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #d49736; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia i] color: #d49736; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliatag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliatag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julianotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d49736; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliaw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julia span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliapokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #d49736; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliapokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 9, 2022 5:08:34 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was making a name for himself in Hoenn now. He proudly wore his red uniform, now a fully-fledged Ranger capable of taking on dangerous missions all on his own. He was a Gym Leader. Yes, all of this kept him busy, but was more fulfilling than the Gym Challenge or even racing ever was. He felt like he was making differences in the lives of Hoennians every single day. That was more satisfying than hoisting any trophy. And that was his primary motivation behind joining the VALOR Initiative.

He had completed a food drive delivery with this same squad of Pokémon not too long ago. This early morning assignment would be way less grueling; rather than an hour-long ride from Slateport to Littleroot, this was completely within Lilycove City. The pharmacy he would be picking up the medicine from was just a few minutes by the back of a ride Pokémon like the Pyroar he was astride. There was just one problem at such an early hour.

The pharmacy wasn't open yet.

Annoyed, he and his two Arcanine, Braver and Craggro, bounded alongside Josh and his Pyroar. Their saddlebags were unfortunately empty as the three fire-types took off. Ranger and Gym Leader met up with Julia, longtime friend and now best Ranger buddy, inside the gated community they had been given the passcode to as part of their work.

"Morning Julia," Josh waved from Aslan's back. "Unfortunately, I couldn't get the medicine yet, because the pharmacy the drive was done at isn't open yet. Whyisitnota24hourpharmacy?" His last question's words ran together in an unprofessional tone not befitting the Ranger uniform he wore. "...Sorry for snapping on you like that. I'm just frustrated is all. Brought the heavy duty squad this time. These two are Braver and Craggro," he gestured toward the Arcanine and Hisuian Arcanine, respectively. Craggro looked animated and ready to start work, while Braver was a little more reserved. He was still excited to help Josh with his work, but much more calm.

{WC: 339}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Saber         Manectric      Good
Braver        Arcanine       Good
Craggro       H!Arcanine     Good
Aslan         Pyroar         Good
Crash         Boltund        Good
Nitro         Gogoat         Good
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Sept 18, 2022 21:54:11 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"Wait, seriously? I could have swore it was open right now..." She pulled out her phone to double-check the listing. "They must have their old hours listed or something. Dang, I thought getting an early start would make this easier."

[break][break]Chester's left head drooped in disappointment, while the right glared in the pharmacy's general direction. His middle head, ever the optimist, leaned down to nuzzle Julia reassuringly. Julia smiled and petted him. "Aww, thanks, buddy."

[break][break]"It's okay," she said to Josh about his outburst, if it could even be called that. She got a closer look at his Pokémon as they were introduced. "Oh, wow, I've never seen an Arcanine like that before!" She wanted to join in with Craggo's energy and maybe offer pets, but they were on a job right now. Julia may not have been the most professionally minded Ranger out there, but she did her best to take her job seriously.

[break][break]"So what do we do now? We can't really do a medicine run without the medicine, can we?"

[newclass=.julia] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julia b] color: #d49736; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia a] text-decoration: none; color: #d49736; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #d49736; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliatag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliatag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julianotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d49736; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliapokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #d49736; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 19, 2022 4:26:45 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh, as well, had the idea to double-check the listing. "No, the hours on the website match the hours on the sign," he confirmed. "It says they're open, but the doors are locked." A couple of car horns sounded. Not too long after that, he heard the sound of hooves against pavement as a Rapidash and a Stantler cantered away from the drive-through. He took a peek around the corner, and there was quite the line. "Lot of cars and Pokémon down there. I think someone messed up big time."

What else could they have done? They were already outside the door, and they couldn't start the medicine run without the medicine. "Since we gotta wait anyway, I can tell you," Josh offered to explain why Craggro looked different. "Craggro is an Arcanine that evolved in one of those Space-Time Distortions. Ever been in one of them? They're full of red-eyed Pokémon that are just enormous. Imagine Aslan here, but almost twice as big. One appeared right over my Gym in Mauville once and disrupted one of my challenges. Right, I didn't tell you. I'm Mauville City's Gym Leader now!"

After about ten minutes, the hooves of a Gogoat clacked against the parking lot, carrying a uniformed young woman to the back of the store. As lights within turned on, Josh directed his three Pokémon toward the entrance, well within municipal speed limits, of course! It was not long before the front door was unlocked. Apparently the general manager was tardy. "Come on, let's see if we can beat the rush!" Josh slid off his Pyroar's back and withdrew all three fire-types, making a beeline for the pharmacy in the rear of the convenience store.

{WC: 288}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Sept 21, 2022 20:50:10 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia grimaced. "That or something happened..." She hoped it was just someone slipping up and coming in late for the opening shift.

[break][break]With some time to kill, Josh began explaining Craggro's appearance. "Yeah, one showed up in Fortree not too long ago. I've seen all kinds of weird Pokémon pop up in them, like a really tall blue Sneasel and a big Ursaring-looking one."

[break][break]The words "my Gym in Mauville" took a moment to catch up to the rest of Julia's thoughts. "Oh, that's why you transferred over! Congratulations! Now I've definitely gotta start the Gym circuit." It was something Julia had wanted to do since she was a kid, but between her accident and her Ranger training and work, she hadn't found the time. "Do you still do the racing challenges?"

[break][break]Oh, there was the manager! It seemed she was just running late, after all. Julia followed Josh's lead and hopped on Chester's back so they could follow him to the entrance.

[break][break]"Yeah, let's go," she said once the door was unlocked. She slid off Chester and gave him a pat. "Stay out here, okay?" The Dodrio nodded with his middle head, and Julia followed Josh inside.

[break][break]Already, the pharmacists behind the counter were frantically scrambling to get customers' medicines to them through the drive-through. Most of the other shoppers who'd been waiting by the door had other destinations in mind, leaving the pharmacy mostly devoid of in-shop customers. Still, Julia put on an apologetic smile as she approached the pharmacist, whose customer service smile was so strained that even Julia could tell she was stressed over this.

[break][break]"We're picking up the Ranger order," she said, fishing for her ID. "It's a lot, I know. Sorry about that."

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 23, 2022 4:55:37 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Sneasel were small Pokémon native to Johto; Julia's comment about a very tall one piqued his interest. "Were you able to get any pictures of them on RangerNet?" Josh asked, though it was a long shot. "If you haven't, I imagine someone has. These distortions are getting...not common, but not rare. And they're dangerous. One of them had a Pyroar that was almost twice Aslan's size. Absolutely terrifying to see."

A big smile came over his face as the two were discussing Josh's Gym while they were waiting for the pharmacy to return with the large order. While it wasn't entire pallets of medicine like Josh had delivered from Petalburg to Littleroot, there was enough that the two would need help moving it. Thankfully, Josh's entire squad was nothing but able-bodied Pokémon. With a little rigging, they would be able to strap the boxes to the backs of Josh's two Arcanine.

"Thanks! It was bittersweet, though; I had to give up professional racing for it. It's a long story of how it happened, but I'm sure I'll have time to tell you while we're making these deliveries." There were few things that got more excited than advertising his new Gym; his challenge, perhaps unique among every Pokémon Gym in the world, was what kept him flooded with challengers. He even got a stream of callers from other regions asking about participation in the Gym. If it weren't for the barrier, he would be even busier than he was already. "I will say this, though; if you want to get in, sign up as soon as you can. I'm already waitlisted out into the middle of October. Yes, I still do the racing challenges, and almost everyone wants to do them. I think the number of actual Pokémon battles I've been challenged to there is still in the single digits."

While it wasn't large enough to be considered freight, the order was cumbersome enough that the pharmacist instructed Julia and Josh to pick it up from one of the freight entrances. "Sure thing!" With that, he led the way outside and sent out his three fire-types again. Hopping on his Pyroar once more, the Leader gave the drive-through lane a wide berth, heading to the rear of the store. There was a single freight truck parked back there, and one of the pharmacy employees was waiting with stacks of boxes.

"Oh, my. This is a lot. Gonna need your help, too, Nitro!" Josh released a Gogoat of his own, the Grass-type keeping a safe distance from the two Arcanine, Craggro in particular. Aslan sat down long enough to let Josh dismount and help with loading and securing the cargo. The three Pokémon looked relieved to see they wouldn't be hauling hundreds of pounds of food each across miles and miles of wilderness road. This time, their cargo could be secured directly to their seats Josh sat upon when he needed their help directly.

Once they were finished, Josh asked the pharmacy employee to give his thanks to their manager. "Alright, I think that'll do it. Let's get to work. We've got several shelters to hit up. Yah!" He flicked Aslan's reins once Julia and Chester were ready, the Pyroar accelerating into a low leap. His other three Pokémon followed behind, the four obeying municipal speed limits en route to the first shelter.

{WC: 568}
{PC: 3}

Aslan         Pyroar         Good
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 1:13:37 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"I didn't even think of getting any pictures; I was kinda busy fighting them off. I bet someone has, though." A frown flickered across her face as she thought of just how many space-time distortions had appeared around the region. On their own, they were already dangerous with how many hostile wild Pokémon they brought with them, but they were also a reminder of how the region was destabilizing. Were these distortions a cause or a symptom of that?

[break][break]"Twice as big as Aslan?!" Julia exclaimed, taking another look at Josh's larger-than-normal Pyroar. "Jeez... I'm glad you're all right after that." No, it didn't matter whether the distortions were causing the destabilization or vice-versa. What mattered was keeping the people and Pokémon of Hoenn safe from them, just as Julia had done before.

[break][break]"At least you still get to race for your Gym," Julia said, focusing on the sweet part of the bittersweetness. "I'll have to grab a spot as soon as it's open. It sounds like such a fun challenge; no wonder so many people are doing it!" Julia adored the non-traditional challenges that the Gyms offered. Sure, Pokémon battles were great and all, but she loved trying new things and tackling unusual challenges.

[break][break]She hopped on Chester and followed Josh out to the freight entrance. While Josh loaded some boxes onto his Pokémon's backs, Julia took the smaller items and tucked them into Chester's saddlebags, making sure to keep their weight balanced. "All good?" she asked the Dodrio. His middle head let out a soft squawk, looking relaxed. The other two didn't look bothered by the added weight, either.

[break][break]With their cargo secured, Josh led the way to their first destination. Usually, when Julia imagined gated communities, she imagined high-class neighborhoods and country clubs, but the one she and Josh were delivering to was mostly home to the elderly and those seeking shelter from Hoenn's recent disasters. The gating and security were meant to give them peace of mind, apparently. She didn't know how the residents would feel about a couple of strangers rolling in, but given that they were Rangers delivering medicine, she didn't expect any problems.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 26, 2022 8:10:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Come to think of it, it was probably closer to time-and-a-half than twice as large, but that didn't make it any less terrifying," Josh corrected himself. "Would never want to try to raise one that big, that's for sure. Being on one that big wouldn't be comfortable at all." If Julia had been paying attention to all their past meetings, almost all of Josh's Pokémon were between five and seven feet tall at the shoulder, perfect for carrying one or at most two people. "It's real bad. Those distortions are no joke. Already had my life flash in front of me once or twice."

"It's a lot," Josh remarked about how busy his Gym was. "It's more racing than I ever did trying to turn pro," he laughed. "I hope I get to see you on the track soon. And do try to bring a Pokémon faster than Chester," he teased both Julia and her Dodrio, making it obvious from his inflection and body language that he was just jeering at them.

Sparks flew from Aslan's claws as Josh had to yank back on his reins hard to get him to stop for a traffic light that was about to turn red. The cross-traffic was mostly vehicles, but there were a few Pokémon mixed in, mostly common equine Pokémon. They were very popular for city travel due to their ease of control. Once the light turned green again, they were off, turning toward their destination and arriving without further incident.

"Oh wow, this is really small," Josh remarked as he buzzed at the gate, the Rangers' red uniforms likely giving their good intentions to security. After a brief conversation with the officer on duty, the gate swung open, letting the mounted Rangers make their deliveries to the few homes inside...though each property was large. Whoever lived here was rather moneyed. Even more so than typical Mauville folk.

{WC: 322}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Sept 27, 2022 20:02:34 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia took a moment to imagine what riding on a truly giant Pokémon would be like. "Where would you even put your legs?" she asked, mostly to herself. It was more fun to think about something like that than the horrors of the distortions.

[break][break]Chester's right head turned and squawked indignantly at Josh's teasing. Julia took it more lightheartedly, shooting Josh a challenging grin. "Hey, don't underestimate us! Chester's got three hearts and three sets of lungs, so he can keep going a long time." The middle and right heads rose up and cawed proudly. The left, meanwhile, actually kept an eye on the road. When it noticed the light turning red, it conveyed this to the other two, who snapped forward before their shared body skidded to a stop, jostling Julia in the saddle. "See? He goes so hard that he almost forgot to stop!" His embarrassed warble had Julia giggling and giving consoling head pats.

[break][break]Once they were past the gate, Julia looked around at all the fancy houses occupying the rather small area. "Yeah, but the houses are a lot bigger than I thought they'd be." Was this what retirement was like? Not that Julia was anywhere close to retirement age.

[break][break]"I guess we just go in order," she said as she began digging through the saddlebags. "Let's see, looks like the first house is... Chikako Tanaka. They've just got a few small items, so this shouldn't take long."

[break][break]She dismounted Chester, walked up the porch steps to the front double doors, and rang the doorbell. She could hear its clear, bell-like chime coming from inside. The glass, decorated with curled wrought iron, was frosted, but Julia could vaguely see a figure moving inside before the door cracked open, revealing a short old woman accompanied by a Kabuki-trim Furfrou.

[break][break]"Yes?" the woman asked, voice wary. Her Furfrou stared steadily at Julia.

[break][break]"Miss Chikako Tanaka? I have a medicine delivery for you."

[break][break]"Oh!" Chikako opened the door fully, a relieved smile washing over her. She was holding herself up on a silver-handled walking cane. "Of course, you're with the Rangers, aren't you? Thank you so much for this; my old bones aren't what they used to be, so it's hard for me to get out sometimes. I'm sure you know how it is." A not-so-surreptitious glance was aimed at Julia's prosthesis.

[break][break]Julia's smile tightened. "I actually don't have any problem walking on this anymore; it'd be tough to be a Ranger if I did. Do you need any help with these?" she asked, trying to shepherd the subject elsewhere.

[break][break]"Oh, of course you don't, sweetie; how silly of me. Just set them in the kitchen there." She stepped aside and gestured toward the kitchen. Julia walked in, suddenly feeling way too aware of her bad leg, and set them on the kitchen's island counter.

[break][break]"There you go!" Julia said. "Have a great rest of your day!"

[break][break]"Oh, just a moment, sweetie! You deserve a little something for all your hard work." She walked to what looked like the living room, her Furfrou right behind her, and plucked something out of a little glass bowl. She returned and dropped it into Julia's hands. "There you go, sweetheart."

[break][break]"Thank you!" It was one of those strawberry candies that Julia had never seen sold in stores before but somehow always materialized in old ladies' houses.

[break][break]With one last round of farewells and well wishes, Julia stepped back outside, resisting the urge to sigh. Chikako was a nice old lady, but Julia could feel the patronizing sweetness behind her words the whole time. She hoped not every house would be like that. She jumped back onto Chester's back and looked around; if Josh needed some help with the bigger items, she'd be glad to pitch it, but otherwise, it was on to the next house!

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 7:43:40 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Julia precisely described the problem. "You hit the nail on the head, Julia," he confirmed. "When picking a Pokémon to use as a mount, a good shoulder height is roughly within a foot of your own height, erring on the smaller side. That way they're big enough that your feet won't drag on the ground, yet not so big that you can't get your legs around their backs. I'll have to show you Clyde, my Flareon. If I was too much taller, riding him would put my feet in danger of dragging. And that's not good. Neither for your Pokémon nor for you."

Josh shook his head as the two passed the final traffic light to their destination. "Dodrio are great distance runners, and they're wonderful for handling rough terrain. If you had more badges, I would have you challenge my Undulation course. It would be perfect for Chester to shine. But from what you've told me, you don't have enough Badges for that one." At four stars, she wouldn't be eligible to challenge such a difficult course without four Badges in her possession.

Their next destination was a row of duplexes, and high end ones at that. Almost none of the residents were home, either. Good; while Josh was a social animal around those in his niche, outside his niche he was quite reclusive. "Ain't nobody home, Julia! With the kind of security this place has, I don't think anything's getting stolen." He hopped off his Pyroar just long enough to leave each of the packages of pain reliever and other over-the-counter medicines at each of the front doors in the complex.

"That's everything here, looks like. Now, the big one. There's a shelter on the northeast side, where the slums are. I wouldn't call them slums, though; they're more like middle class anywhere else." He gently pet his lion's head before climbing back aboard. "It'll be a bit of a long ride. I can show you the back roads where the speed limit is a lot higher, if you want." She might have been able to hear Josh mutter "Stupid speed limit" under his breath.

{WC: 359}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Sept 28, 2022 20:14:56 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"Ohhhh." Wow, who would have thought that Julia's silly mental image would turn out to be the right answer! She listened attentively as Josh described the ideal size of mount Pokémon and the dangers of choosing one that was too large or too small. "You have a Flareon big enough to ride?! Oh, man, I've gotta see that."

[break][break]"How many would I need to challenge it?" she asked. "How many courses are there, anyway?" Would it be better to get more badges first, or should she just try one of the lower-level courses? Decisions, decisions...

[break][break]She helped unload some of the medicine to leave at the front porches. "Oh, looks like some of them have those doorbell cams, too!" She smiled and waved at one of them.

[break][break]Oddly enough, going to the shelter was the part Julia was most looking forward to. The people in this community had been affected by the past disasters, yes, but they were lucky enough to still have homes—and nice ones, at that. But some people had been so devastated that they'd had to hunker down in a shelter. Being able to bring even a little bit of hope and joy to them made this job even more worth it.

[break][break]Julia giggled at Josh's muttering about speed limits. Her eyes fell on the remaining medication. "Think we can do it without jostling the medicine too much? If not, we can always take them on the way back!" She wanted to see what kinds of speeds she and Josh could pull off, but not if it would affect their job.

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Sept 29, 2022 6:25:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Julia seemed impressed upon hearing Clyde's stature. To be fair, the Flareon was on the cusp of being too small for him. Clyde was only 58 inches at the shoulder; being almost a foot and a half shorter than Josh, he did need an extra adaptation with his saddle to prevent Josh's feet from touching the ground when going downhill. "In general, they're a status symbol in Johto," he added, "but with really large Pokémon becoming more common not just in Hoenn, but throughout the world, that's going to change, I imagine. I like it, though! With how much more common they are, I'd actually like to get a full set of eight that are large enough for it. Imagine them lining up on a track!"

Julia seemed to have a lot of questions related to his Gym. "...It would be easier to explain at my Gym," the Leader shrugged as Aslan bounded forward, Josh ready to rein the fire-type toward the back roads. "Arcanine, for as hard as they are to control, have a surprisingly stable gallop. I think we'll be fine." With the vast majority of the medicine being in the form of pills, leakage was a minimal threat as things were.

The two managed to make the final traffic light, taking them to the outskirts of north Mauville, not that far from where Josh's Gym was. The Gym, of course, was in the opposite direction. Perhaps they could drop by after their work was done. While the road was winding at first, it took the two almost straight east not too long afterward. Josh held Aslan's reins firmly and squeezed the Pyroar's sides. "Faster, Aslan!" With a roar, the Pyroar's back started to flex a bit more harshly. "Wahoo!" he couldn't help but whoop as he felt the big cat's acceleration push him back. Despite the longer raw distance, the two were going to make far better time going this way.

{WC: 325}
{PC: 6}

Aslan         Pyroar         Good
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Sept 30, 2022 21:13:52 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"Ooh, that would be cool," Julia said after imagining those big Eeveelutions all in a row. "I wonder what other kinds of Pokémon would be rideable if they were bigger." Julia didn't have any like that, at least not that she could think of; all the potential candidates already seemed big enough to ride on in their respective terrain.

[break][break]According to Josh, it'd be easier to explain the Gym while actually at the Gym. "Maybe I could swing by some time! If you're okay with that."

[break][break]She grinned at Josh's assurance that the medicine would be fine, even at high speeds. "Then let's do it!"

[break][break]Once the road straightened out, Josh called for Aslan to go faster. Julia held tight to Chester's reins and leaned forward a bit. "Let's go!" She tapped Chester's sides with her feet for emphasis, and the Dodrio began to accelerate, his left and right heads alternately bobbing up and down for balance. Julia pushed herself down in the saddle to avoid bouncing with the longer, more powerful strides. The force of this new speed pressed back against her until it had leveled out, and even then, she could feel the rush all around her.

[break][break]Chester's right head turned to Aslan, competitive determination flashing in its eyes. It seemed these two were equally matched when it came to speed. Julia, oblivious to or uncaring of Chester's attempt to compete with Aslan, let out a whoop of her own, the speed shooting adrenaline through her veins. When was the last time she had gone this fast on Chester? It was so much fun!

[break][break]As the shelter came into view, Julia squeezed the reins as a signal for Chester to slow down. "Whoa!" she exclaimed at the faltering in Chester's legs. His middle and left heads gave the right one a disapproving look before his strides grew even again. It seemed the right had wanted to keep this little "competition" going a bit longer but had been overruled by the other two. Julia sighed lightheartedly and shook her head. It was times like these that she wondered if she should give each head its own name.

[break][break]She needed a moment to steady herself when she got back down. Chester lowered his left head in concern as Julia leaned against him. "I'm okay," she said, petting him. "Just gimme a sec to catch my breath." She hadn't been the one doing the running, but the rush had sapped a bit of energy from her. How did Josh do this so often?

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,045 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Oct 2, 2022 2:01:29 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Julia looked like she was a little short of breath. Josh was used to the high speed. Aslan wasn't even trying; as fast as they were going, they were still obeying rural speed limits. "Oh, absolutely! You want a chance at beating us, though, you'll have to get used to going even faster. Riding during Aslan's Double Team is the real thrill, but it's far too fast within the city. The cops would be after me so fast, and I can't let my perfect record die!"

Nearly missing his turn, Josh abruptly yanked back on Aslan. The startled Pyroar's claws sparked, skidding across the pavement from the command to slam on the brakes. The lion reared powerfully, startling his rider at first. Josh seemed to thoroughly enjoy the strong maneuver. "Alright, let's get to work!" With that, he started unloading his other Pokémon and buzzed at the gate. "They should be expecting us."

{WC: 154}
{PC: 7}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Oct 7, 2022 19:14:53 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

Julia rubbed at her watery eyes, dried out from the force of the wind that riding Chester had created. "Remind me to bring my goggles, too," she said.

[break][break]She watched as, again, Aslan's braking caused sparks to fly from his claws. She was worried for a moment that his rearing would knock Josh off, but the rider seemed to be enjoying the maneuver. Seeing the kinds of things that a racer like Josh was used to was crazy, but also really cool. "Those claws must be tough if they can handle that," she said.

[break][break]It didn't take long for Julia to find her land legs again. "Yep, we're almost done!" she said as she helped Josh unload. "I'm really glad we got to do this together. Your Pokémon helped out a ton, and it made this a lot more fun. Oh, and now, me and Chester know what we need to work on for the Gym race!"

[break][break]The woman who emerged to answer the gate buzz looked rather tired, but she perked up as soon as she saw the duo. "You must be the Rangers delivering the medicine!" she said, relief flooding her voice. "Thank you so much for doing this."

[break][break]"We're happy to!" Julia said. She meant it 100%.

[break][break]The woman, whose nametag read Vanessa, ushered them past the gate and through the front doors into a reception area. A few people milled about in the seating area; the Rangers' interest caught their attention, and a few of their faces brightened at the sight. Julia smiled at them. They were in a tough situation, but this gave them some hope, and Julia was proud to be part of that.

[break][break]Vanessa led them back into the infirmary area. Curtains were drawn around a few of the beds, their occupants likely resting. A man in scrubs washing his hands at the sink looked up at the Rangers' arrival. "Oh, good, the medicine's here," he said quietly. "Would you mind helping me unpack these?"

[break][break]"Sure," Julia replied, also keeping her voice down. She turned to Josh. "What about you? Got time for it?" She wasn't sure if he had Gym Leader obligations after this or something.