6,070 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Battle SIM [MASQUE][C/Elisabeth]
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 7:24:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It was at last time for Josh's and 's turn at a VR Terastal battle. The Mauville Leader was confident he would come out on top, given his job was to teach Hoenn's masses how to improve their combat skills. Plus, Josh already possessed a TERA ORB. He had experience with Terastal Pokémon and was at least familiar with the basics of how it functioned. Changing a Pokémon's elemental affinity? Aware. The flexibility of TERA BLAST? Aware. Making moves of the same type as the TERA JEWEL? Aware. There was no way he was dropping a battle. There was only one problem.

Why did all the Pokémon, except Yanmega, which would give him a headache, be so slow?

"This is quite the setup my old boss rigged together, isn't it?" the Raikou-knight asked the gorgeous woman. He scrolled through the list of Pokémon and made his selection, that being a Tyrantrum. His pick was unsurprising, and could probably be counter-picked by his opponent if she was aware of his identity. It was the only one of the twelve that was strong enough and the right body shape to bear him as a rider. He did have to flip up his helmet's visor to be able to fully see the VR display's screen, which could have revealed his identity to her if she was paying close attention. "Ready when you are!"

{WC: 235}
{PC: 1}

Tyrantrum
Ability: ROCK HEAD
Tera Type: Fire
Moveset: TERA BLAST | HONE CLAWS | HEAD SMASH | DRAGON TAIL
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 8:35:24 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","elisatest"]
[attr="class","elisatestbody"]

As it happened, Elisabeth was unfamiliar with 's identity; she had yet to be briefed on this newer gym leader in Hoenn, and was so occupied in preparing her own VR headset, his own face yet remained unknown to her. If he were to glimpse her face during her preparation, he might have seen her own unmasked visage, which he'd recognize if he had seen her manning a florist stall at the Hoenn Job Fair.[break][break]

"I've never used one of these before," she admitted, feeling a bit unmoored by the false environment provided by the technology. It reminded her of the Cloud. "It's surprisingly lifelike."[break][break]

Most of the Pokémon listed were likewise unusual for Elisabeth. The exhibit had seemed more themed to a museum's tastes than to her own, which skewed towards Grass-, Bug-, and Poison-types. For that reason, she settled upon the Frosmoth, for familiarity's sake more than anything else.[break][break]

Had she been aware of her opponent's choices -- particularly his choice of Tera Type -- she might have chosen differently.[break][break]

And on a whim, for that reason, she chose the POISON Tera Type for herself.[break][break]

Her selections made, she nodded firmly at her opponent, mildly surprised by how easy it was to communicate with him in this digital space. On the screens beyond them, the battle layout was visible to any spectators who might wish to glimpse them.[break][break]

"This is my first TERA BATTLE. I'll be relying on your expertise, then." A sincere smile greeted him, curiosity flashing in her eyes. "Shall we begin?"

[break][break]

NOTES

- Outfit: Front & Back, Hairstyle, Butterfly Mask.[break]
- Masquerade Spin-Off Thread #5: Terastal Battle. (Pokemon stats in the image below!)

[attr="class","elisatestpkmn"]

[attr="class","elisatestcredit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisatest"]--accent:#df8c7d;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest b"]color:var(--accent);font:800 14px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest a"]font:12px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestbody"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:18px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestcredit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestcredit a"]font-size:10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,070 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 13:28:12 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh was too focused on keeping his own identity hidden to notice Elisabeth's. Putting the headset on, the stadium-sized battle court, surrounded by thousands of virtual fans as though it were the finals of a large battle tournament was as lifelike as he expected. "This is going to sound weird, but it's actually a step back for me. Years ago, I used to do beta testing for an indie dev called Shovelware Studios. They're a video game fan's wet dream; their entire business model is to scoop up abandoned video game IPs and reboot them. Technology has advanced so far nowadays that we've gone beyond VR and into the world of full-sim gaming. There's a full-sim game that's a reboot of a MMO from the early 2000s, with terminals at every Round One in Hoenn. , , and I play together with some regularity, and it's a ton of fun."

When the system prompted him to, Josh sent out his virtual Tyrantrum. It made him want to get a real one, as it would make for an incredibly intimidating mount. A rough ride and not extremely fast, but having that kind of muscle could be very useful on heavy-duty missions as a Ranger. The virtual UI was nothing short of impressive, showing his Tyrantrum's power level (normalized to 50), stamina, move list, and so forth. It was not dissimilar to the UIs of full-sim games.

"Alright, hold your TERA ORB about shoulder height, let the Infinity Energy collect inside, then toss it at your Pokémon like you would a Poké Ball. It's that simple!" Josh instructed, then followed his own advice. The interior of his virtual orb sparkled a fiery red. The tall and imposing dinosaur, surrounded in a pyramid of TERASTAL CSYSTAL for several seconds, shattered it from within, Now covered in a crystal body and adorned with a flame-shaped TERA JEWEL on its forehead, the large Pokémon prepared to incinerate whatever Elisabeth chose to battle with in an explosive, superheated TERA BLAST.

{WC: 336}
{PC: 2}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Tyrantrum     Tyrantrum      Good

Tyrantrum
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jan 1, 2023 23:44:52 GMT
[nospaces]

"Like this?" Elisabeth asked, holding the virtual TERA ORB aloft. To her surprise, she could feel the infinity energy gathering -- it reminded her of the crystablooms she tended in the Rocket labs, despite the fact she knew, intellectually, that this was only a simulation.[break][break]

A toss of the TERA ORB revealed a flash of violet light, and the FROSMOTH was enveloped in a shimmering amethystine crystal, adorning a Poison-symbol on the moth's brow.[break][break]

"I think I'm a bit behind the times in general. I always feel last to know whatever newfangled invention is being touted as the best and brightest new thing."[break][break]

Admittedly, the Rocket admin found herself grateful for this stranger's instructions; technology overwhelmed her in some ways, although she remained keenly aware of it in others. The names he gave as his peers -- , -- indicated the likelihood this man was not only League-aligned, but someone important enough to hold friends in high places. It should have intimidated her, but in this masquerade, it felt inevitable.[break][break]

Besides, it wasn't as if she planned to advertise her own friendship with infamous terrorist in reply.[break][break]

A TERA BLAST revealed the once-draconic nature of the TYRANTRUM was possessed of a FIRE Tera Type -- Elisabeth's least favored choice of opponent, always. It would have incinerated the Ice-type Frosmoth in an instant, had it not been for the shift to its Poison-type affiliation.[break][break]

"Fascinating," Elisabeth breathed out, only for her eyes to flit up to see her virtual opponent seated on his Pokemon. "Can you focus from up there?" she asked , genuinely surprised. "I would be so focused on not falling, it would distract me."[break][break]

Most of her Frosmoth's Ice-type moves would be useless against this opponent, so Elisabeth chose to mimic his decision, and a poisonous TERA BLAST struck the Tyrantrum back in kind.

[break][break]

NOTES

- FROSMOTH is hit by the FIRE TERA BLAST![break]
- FROSMOTH uses POISON TERA BLAST against the TYRANTRUM![break]
- Masquerade Spin-Off Thread #5: Terastal Battle. (Pokemon stats in the image below!)

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisatest u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:800;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestbody"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:18px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestpkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisatest .elisatestcredit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,070 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 0:53:52 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As a Gym Leader, Josh had to have an intricate understanding of applied Infinity Energy. "Exactly like that!" he smiled. "You're a quick learner!" The TERA JEWEL's amethyst color and skull-and-crossbones shape was an obvious sign of the now-crystallized Frosmoth's shift to the Poison-type. It looked like the battle was about to start, the UI having fully materialized. A very short timer pressured both combatants to make their moves with the same urgency of a real battle.

The TERA BLASTs collided with one another with lifelike physics, exploding in a deluge of fiery, venomous goop. Not even the brutal dinosaur was able to get away unscathed, Josh watching his virtual Pokémon's stamina indicator roll down. There were even red, bouncing numerals on the UI, in front of the Pokémon's portrait, to indicate exactly how hard the attack hit. This certainly took a lot of the guesswork out. Realizing he could probably attack the Frosmoth incessantly, he shifted tactics to end the fight as quickly as possible, his Gym Leader instincts taking over. He silently ordered the fire-shifted dragon-type to use HEAD SMASH, awaiting his opponent's orders. Once both were entered, the Tyrantrum lowered its head and charged the insect with reckless abandon.

{WC: 204}
{PC: 3}

Tyrantrum     Tyrantrum      1126/1878

Tyrantrum
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 8:41:13 GMT
[nospaces]

The stranger's compliment pleased Elisabeth despite herself. She wasn't accustomed to being praised for learning quickly, although it was a skill she possessed; she tried to hide how little she knew about most things, trying to catch up silently before anyone realized her ignorance.[break][break]

Having a mentor was an uncommon experience for her, but one she liked, she decided.[break][break]

"AURORA VEIL," she commanded the digitized Frosmoth, and a panoply of subdued, dawn-cast lights danced around the crystallized moth, prepared to reduce whatever damage the Tyrantrum sought to incur with its next move.[break][break]

When the HEAD SMASH collided against the insect, the dizzied Pokemon managed to right itself a little easier than it might have otherwise, had a less defensive move been chosen.[break][break]

"You seem like you've done this before," Elisabeth said, curious. "Were you perhaps there on METENO? I'm told that's when all this Terastallization started."[break][break]

She'd read the Rocket reports, but it was different than witnessing the real thing.

[break][break]

NOTES

- FROSMOTH uses AURORA VEIL![break]
- FROSMOTH is hit by the HEAD SMASH![break]

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,070 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 2, 2023 13:21:46 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The Frosmoth's AURORA VEIL was going to be a big problem for the Raikou-knight, making it very easy for the bug-type to repel attacks. There were two approaches in Josh's mind: the first to simply have the ancient Pokémon remain in a hunched position, bulldozing the Frosmoth with HEAD SMASH until it keeled over. Of course, that came with a significant risk: the potent attack was typically dangerous to both its user and the defender. While its ROCK HEAD let it use the attack with impunity, it was also quite unwieldy, represented with an accuracy value of 80 in the simulator. He had rolled the dice once and been lucky. He wasn't willing to roll them a second time, instead selecting HONE CLAWS. While it did give an opening, it would later open the door to a decisive strike at the end of the battle, when it mattered most.

After both battlers had selected their commands, Josh answered his opponent's questions while the animations played out. "I was. Not by choice, either. You would think Commissioner would have assigned me to fire the Desert's Primal Point, given where I was assigned. But no, she conscripted me to space. It's not an experience I'd like to repeat anytime soon. Four of my closest Pokémon almost died there, and Aslan, my shiny Pyroar... he's still in the hospital." That reminded him: he needed to check on the fire-type tomorrow.

Tyrantrum     Tyrantrum      1126/1878

STAGES: Offense +1: Luck +1

Tyrantrum
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 4:27:10 GMT
[nospaces]

"Where you were assigned?" Elisabeth repeated, raising an eyebrow.[break][break]

She was unfamiliar with entirely; she inferred he must be some sort of League Officer or Ranger, given his turn of phrase. Then his tone turned sorrowful as he listed his losses aloud, and Elisabeth nodded, tiptoeing cautiously here in this unexpected emotional territory.[break][break]

"I lost many of my own Pokemon during the Darkest Day," she confided. A pause inserted itself here as she sought for the right words to say. Despite her constant presence at funerals, this had always been difficult for her: giving words to grief. "It is a difficult thing, isn't it?" she managed finally. "I hope your Pyroar recovers soon."[break][break]

The Frosmoth once more engaged in a TERA BLAST, taking advantage of the small window that the HONE CLAWS had left available for her attack. Even so, Elisabeth had her suspicions for how this battle would pan out.[break][break]

"Any hardship you faced is not due to your skill as a battler, at least," she said with a wry smile.

[break][break]

NOTES

- FROSMOTH uses TERA BLAST on TYRANTRUM![break]

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,070 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 5:44:35 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Like I said, she conscripted me to space," was Josh's simple answer, the two chatting as the exchange played out. "The meteor itself." Elisabeth mentioned the Darkest Day; it was a horrible battle with Ultra Necrozma that happened just before Josh had entered the region. He heard the death toll from the single battle was in the three, if not four, figures. "Any loss is hard, even temporary loss. I can't imagine how hard it must be to deal with permanent loss."

This time, there was no TERA BLAST of the Tyrantrum's own to repel the Frosmoth's: the noxious sphere would strike the now fire-type dinosaur with full force.

CRITICAL!! 1040

Josh gasped as the entire VR screen flashed white twice in rapid succession: the indicator of a four-figure critical hit. One way or another, the battle was going to end this turn.

Perhaps this was a contributing factor to Josh's lack of battle skills as a Gym Leader: he knew the battle simulators so well that he could do a lot of the math needed to win at them on the fly. He knew from running the numbers that neither TERA BLAST nor DRAGON TAIL would have the punch to get the job done. In real battles, there would be way more guesswork, as the hits were quite real, and there was no life meter to show exactly how hurt his Pokémon was. Without hesitation, he entered a command to HEAD SMASH and prayed for a hit.

"From what I understand, if the rehab goes well, I'll be able to ride and race him again around mid-March," he explained. It was such a long recovery, but given that it was a legendary Pokémon that inflicted such a wound, any outcome other than death was fortunate. "He'll never be as fast as he once was, though."

Tyrantrum     Tyrantrum        86/1878

STAGES: Offense +1: Luck +1

Tyrantrum
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
awards
4,395 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
POSTED ON Jan 3, 2023 6:03:50 GMT
[nospaces]

To be directly conscripted by the Commissioner was confirmation that whoever it was Elisabeth was battling with, he was important. She fought down her curiosity, however, instead listening and sympathizing as he described his Pyroar's plight. That he offered her similar condolences surprised her, and she was touched despite herself.[break][break]

Truthfully, she hadn't grieved their losses as much as she once would have. Rocket had taught her to steel against such things, although the rare exception would find the chinks in her emotional armor.[break][break]

No attack that the Frosmoth could use in reply to the Tyrantrum's TERA BLAST would be enough to blunt its full force. Even so, a poisonous TERA BLAST pushed back against it in kind, only to be overpowered ultimately in a fiery inferno.[break][break]

The crystals that armored the Pokemon faded out of existence, revealing the Ice-type moth as its true form as a sudden announcement flared on the screen:[break][break][break]

FROSMOTH HAS FAINTED. TYRANTRUM WINS THE BATTLE!
[break][break]

"Well done," Elisabeth offered genuinely as she reached for the VR headset, the demo already blacking out on its promised fifth turn. "It was an honor to lose to you, stranger. May the rest of the night go as well for you as this duel did."

[break][break]

NOTES

- FROSMOTH uses TERA BLAST on TYRANTRUM![break]
- TYRANTRUM uses TERA BLAST on FROSMOTH, who FAINTS! wins![break]

MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,962 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Jan 4, 2023 4:50:52 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(REPEAT)