6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2023 7:35:58 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh couldn't have been more excited. One of his best Gym Trainers, , had taken his advice to get her feet wet in being a Gym Leader by applying to the Minor League program. Once she had forwarded her acceptance email to him, he raced to the Minor League's website and managed to be the first to sign up!

As one who embraced teaching lessons simple battle could not, Josh smiled when he read Elise's non-battle challenge: he would have to navigate a labyrinth. At first, he thought it would tread on 's turf a bit with the Forest of Secrets. Though he appreciated the proximity of the Gym to his own, Josh wondered how successful it would be, given that there were three Pokémon Gyms in Mauville now. He had already noticed challenger volume dropping. Would the presence of another Gym dilute it more? Perhaps she should have set it up in Lilycove or something, he thought.

Regardless, the day of Josh's appointment had come, and with it, the opportunity to truly test what he had taught Elise at his Secret Base. There was a strict rule against the discharge of INFINITY ENERGY within the labyrinth; no Pokémon whose body naturally or artificially radiated significant amounts of it would be welcome within its walls. That left many of Josh's most loyal Pokémon unable to participate. Saber, Aslan, Twilight, Blitz, Ao, Jiujiu, and Raikiri were all out.

After careful consideration, he crafted his team of six mighty steeds that would still be effective within the enclosed spaces of the labyrinth. Blinky's reins in one hand, the Gym Leader approached the castle lobby's front desk. "Afternoon. Josh Devlin, for an appointment with Leader ."

{WC: 286}
{PC: 1}

NAME          SPECIES        STATUS
Kairi         Vaporeon       Good
Blinky        Jolteon        Good
Clyde         Flareon        Good
Basil         Leafeon        Good
Janus         Espeon         Good
Pinky         Sylveon**      Good
close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
darling, so share with me
or pain if that's what it is
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
i long to stay where the light dwells to guard against the cold that i know so well
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 1, 2023 15:12:39 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","elisetest3"]
[attr="class","body"]

Under her friend’s recommendation that she should get her feet wet in getting some experience in taking challenges for a minor league gym, the royal had a day where she didn’t have a lot of ambassadorial work to do at the embassy and mostly had Lucia tackle some of the harder work. With the acceptance letter telling her that she had been accepted into the minor league and could start taking challenges, her gym was set up in Mauville City, closer to Mauville Hills which was the apartment complex place long abandoned and said to be haunted.[break][break]

It wouldn’t be long after Josh had spoken to the female brunette receptionist that he had an appointment once the brunette lady responds that the gym leader that herself would come over with a wave over to the gym leader riding on his Sylveon. “Good afternoon, Josh. I should think you are here for the non-traditional challenge, was it? It was my first time setting it up with the help of my ghost type Pokemon, so I hope it was alright.” By her side, was her faithful servant, Chamomile the Polteageist, who takes a little bow once he sees the gym leader on his ride.

[break][break]

NOTES

- None.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisetest3"]--accent:#d143d8;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 b"]color:var(--accent);font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 a"]font:12px Poppins;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 .credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 .credit a"]font-size:10px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 4:26:17 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The place looked familiar to Josh; he had once been inside of a haunted mansion with . Perhaps this was that same place? Either way, it was up to the same quality as his own Gym. Extravagant for a Minor League leader, at that, too. How much of the funding for this place came out of her own pocket, he wondered. Now was not the time to think about that, though; Josh had a labyrinth to explore and solve.

Being led to the challenge grounds' entrance, the Major League Leader waved to Elise. "Hi there! Can't wait to see what you've had cooking. After the challenge, I'll make sure to critique it for you. I know how valued feedback is. I love the freedom this region gives in letting Leaders craft special challenges. I want to take them all on. Now, lead the way!" Once there was clearance, the Leader would get on his Jolteon's back. If this challenge was anything like advertised, mobility was important. The last time he was in an environment like this was the Mirage Palace, many months ago...

{WC: 183}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
i long to stay where the light dwells to guard against the cold that i know so well
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 12, 2023 18:04:49 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

Her friend greets her with a hello and goes to tell her that after the challenge, he would be able to critique it for her since feedback was important for those who would be taking the non-traditional challenge. “Yes, feedback is important from you, so that I can improve on what I’m missing with the non-traditional set-up.” A reply came from her while he waited for her to lead the way up to the second floor. Josh’s own gym had a fun non-traditional challenge of Pokemon racing, so she hoped to try to match the fun in hers from a minor league point.[break][break]

Leading the way upward to the stairs until they reach the second floor’s labyrinth, the young woman made some small talk to her boss. “I hope that I can try living up to your expectations anyhow. Yours was a bit of an inspiration to try to make up my own.” Well, if he did critique it, that would be a bit of a push she needed to make it even better for future challengers.

[break][break]

NOTES

- None.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisetest3 b"]color:var(--accent);font:bold 14px Roboto;letter-spacing:.1px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 h1"]font:16px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 h2"]font:14px Poppins;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;letter-spacing:.2px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elisetest3 .credit"]width:100px;background-color:#232323;font-size:10px;margin-top:7px;padding:3px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2023 6:53:05 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Reaching the second floor, the entrance to Elise's advertised labyrinth awaited Josh. Riding up the stairs was a bit rough, the unnatural terrain and steep grade causing him to nearly be punctured on Blinky's quills, but he managed to keep good enough posture to avoid both pain and shock. "Racing is totally different from what you're doing, though. There's this Gym called the Forest of Secrets on the other side of town. Run by Rosmontis. I'm very interested to see how your challenge differs from here." On paper, 's Gym had a lot of overlap with Elise's. This would be her chance to prove to Josh how different it truly was.

Once Josh had been led to the entrance, he awaited Elise's signal before giving his Jolteon a light kick to the sides, a signal to advance into the entry chamber of what he presumed was a shifting labyrinth; after all, it wouldn't be a very fun challenge if the solution to the one maze spread around! "Ready to enter when you drop the green flag."

{WC: 176}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 19, 2023 20:59:38 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

Hearing about the other minor league gym in the area having the same kind of non-traditional challenge, she did admit that the non-trad she came up with for her minor league gym would’ve had overlap, but he was curious how hers would differ from the Forest of Secrets. Racing was very different than what she was doing and that his non-traditional challenge was the most excitement his challengers could feel. “I assume the overlap would be a bit troubling since I did hear the Minor League gym ran by Rosmontis had the same concept first, but yes, I hope it’ll be different.”[break][break]

He spoke of waiting for her to give the green flag in starting the Minor League challenge, so she gives the Mauville gym leader a nod. “You and Blinky can go. I’ll be waiting down at the first floor when you two are done.” She leaves Josh’s side to head downstairs, so that he and Blinky would be left to take on the challenge themselves through the shifting labyrinth.

[break][break]

NOTES

- None.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jul 22, 2023 7:47:57 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh held Blinky's reins taut, the Jolteon rearing in excitement and startling him. "I know you're excited, girl! I am, too!" He gently pat the quilled electric-type's head, the Z-GLOVE on his right hand protecting it from being perforated. "See you on the other side! Can't wait to see what you've had cooking all this time."

Once the new Gym Leader was gone, Josh gently applied pressure to the yellow Pokémon's sides, entering the labyrinth at a brisk walk. Blinky reduced her static discharge at Josh's command, letting him pull out his phone and start building a map of the place. No adventurer wouldn't appreciate having a good map of a cave, ruin, or castle!

{WC: 116}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 20:21:11 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

Since the labryinth would have obstacles to confuse people around the hallway, the dark haired gym leader was very lucky to have a map on his phone around. Shifting decorations around the hallway of the maze-like area were enough that it appeared to be changing due to whatever Pokemon was capable of making such an illusion. As the map on his phone being made of the place would show some doors on the screen, each step from his ride Jolteon would make the corridors shift themselves.[break][break]

If Josh wanted, he could check out a door on the left side of the corridor which was easy to spot on the map. Whether that one was an illusion or not, both gym leader and Pokemon would have to check that out first. His map of the place would show that the doors look the same which would probably add to the factor of guessing which ones were needed to proceed.

[break][break]

NOTES

- None.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Aug 8, 2023 17:02:54 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Keep your guard up, Blinky," Josh warned as he gave his Jolteon mount a gentle pat on the head. "Remember, I taught her a lot there is to know about being a Gym Leader. She's not making this challenge easy." As the hallway gave way to the labyrinth proper, the racer found himself in a room where what showed on his phone's map did not match the room visually. "Already some kind of tomfoolery going on... but it wouldn't be fun if there weren't surprises around the corner!"

He looked around the room for clues as to why there were differences between his digital map and the real environment, but could not find them. "Think you can get this open, Blinky!" Josh asked. With a bark and a nod, he had his answer. She attempted to find purchase between the door and the ground using her claws, intending to push it into the ceiling if it was a sliding door. Her paws crackled with electricity, ready to do battle at a moment's notice.

- Taking the LEFT path!

{WC: 173}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Sept 11, 2023 22:07:00 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

Luckily, the paws of the Jolteon pushed the door up to the ceiling as it gave a sliding sound. Though the labyrinth shifts a bit, the room behind the door would be the first one that Josh could progress with as it showed the stone walls lit up by a few torches and the first puzzle being a little switch. A bigger treasure chest appeared to be at the leftmost side since this one appeared to be different than regular chests. [break][break]

The room itself that Josh and Blinky found would be guarded by little ghost enemies carrying lanterns. Should Josh and his Jolteon deal with them, it’ll make concentrating on solving the puzzle in this room easier than to ignore that they were floating around.

[break][break]

NOTES

- None.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Sept 13, 2023 4:03:22 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
The moment Blinky stepped into the room, several Lampent, presumably Pokémon Elise kept at the Gym, materialized out of nowhere. Blinky side-hopped out of the way of one FLAME BURST... right into another. Josh hissed as the blaze singed him and his Jolteon. Surrounded, he grabbed Kairi's Poké Ball from his belt, the Vaporeon whipping WATER PULSES at the ghosts with her tail, one at a time. The extra maneuvering room made further FLAME BURSTS mere glancing blows, yet they still stung. One room in and Josh already wasn't in great shape!

Once all the foes had been handled, Josh stretched to evaluate his wounds. They weren't pleasant, but they were irritating enough to hamper his movement some. He would certainly need to be less reckless in combat. With that taken care of, the Gym Leader reined his Jolteon toward the switch and let the electric quadruped step on it.

- Taking out the Lampent-line Pokémon then stomping the floor switch!

{WC: 151}
{PC: 6}

♥♥♥♥♥
Josh          Human          ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Blinky        Jolteon        Fair
close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Nov 16, 2023 1:14:59 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","body"]

Everything went quiet when Josh and his two Eeveelutions fought several Lampent in the room that were guarding the switch. His Vaporeon, as a water type Pokemon, would make short work of the fire typed ghosts as they would lie on the ground. As Josh had directed Blinky the Jolteon to step on the switch, the switch gets pressed with the feet of the electric Eeveelution stepping on it. A sound comes from the ceiling as something small dropped down next to the switch.[break][break]

If Josh would pick up this item, this looked like one of the Small Keys needed to unlock a door in the outside hallway. Since the Lampent wouldn’t be getting up from their fight with the two Eeveelutions, they groaned in pain on the ground.[break][break]

[break]
You got a Small Key! Use it to unlock a door in this dungeon!

[break][break]

NOTES

- None.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]
MADE BY GUNSMILE

[googlefont=Poppins]
[newclass=".elisetest3"]--accent:#D0BDF0;font:12px Poppins;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Nov 18, 2023 22:44:14 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh chuckled as the SMALL KEY hit the ground next to Blinky with a loud clink. This type of challenge hit way too close to home. He had experience with it, but this was uncanny. It reminded him of his trips into Mirage Palace, Skull Woods, and most recently, the Seabed Temple with . These kinds of labyrinths were full of tricks and traps designed to keep explorers from uncovering their creators' treasure or secrets.

With the SMALL KEY in hand, Josh and his two Eeveelutions returned to the main hall, looking for a way forward. He preferred to keep the object intact for as long as possible, expecting it to snap or crumble once it was used. If his only way forward was to unlock something, so be it!

Keys: 1

{PC: 7}

♥♥♥♥♥
close tab

played by

LunarMona

Elly, El
she/her
December 24
Hammerlocke, Galar
Bisexual
Galarian Ambassador
Ranger Cadet
5'7" / 170 cm height
5'7" / 170 cm height
awards
2,310 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elise
Elise Calcifet
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jan 10, 2024 19:04:06 GMT
Elise Calcifet Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","elise"]
[attr="class","body"]

With the Small Key in Josh’s hand and when he and his two Eeveelutions would get out of the room, the hallways began to shift slightly less as if the mini dungeon itself knew the gym leader had made progress. If Josh would look at his map, the room that he came out of would be marked as clear and that there were other doorways to rooms that needed a Small Key.[break][break]

It was a matter of which room would the gym leader choose to unlock next and whether those that were locked would have more Small Keys to progress. Josh’s map would show that there were rooms at the far right and left of the hallway’s end.

TAGS [break]
NOTES – notes here.

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[attr="class","credit"]

[newclass=".elise"]--accent:#D0BDF0;font:13px Roboto;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise b"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise i"]color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise u"]text-underline-offset:3px;text-decoration-color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise a"]font:13px Roboto;color:var(--accent);[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise h1"]font:16px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise h2"]font:14px Roboto;color:var(--accent);font-weight:bold;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise .body"]background-image:url("https://image.ibb.co/cpf8Wc/flower_patt.png");background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;text-align:justify;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise .pkmn img"]margin:-10px -7px 0px -7px;[/newclass]
[newclass=".elise .credit"]font-size:13px;[/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,015 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
Steel and Snare [MLG]
POSTED ON Jan 15, 2024 6:38:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
It seemed the labyrinth's layout would force his hand. The Gym Leader's familiarity with testing procedurally generated content in video games led him to believe that whatever logic Elise used to craft the challenge would follow the same rules. The order that keys are used in should not matter; there should be a way to get through the labyrinth no matter how inefficiently they are used. Even if there was a way to do so, a good designer would place subtle hints that guide the explorer away from doing so.

Bold assumptions, but sensible ones. If the challenge truly came down to guessing incorrectly on a Three Door Monty, Josh would need to have some words with the Minor League Leader. For now, he would continue on, Blinky standing next to the northernmost lock. Inserting his silver SMALL KEY into it, he expected the door to open as soon as the chains keeping it from moving gave way.

{WC: 158}
{PC: 8}

♥♥♥♥♥

WRITE REPLY