6,119 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
A License to Kill [M][C/Julia]
POSTED ON Jul 3, 2023 3:04:23 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
TO: Josh Devlin (josh.devlin@hoennleague.gov)
CC: (julia.davis@hoennrangers.gov)
MISSION: "A License to Kill"
PROTOCOL: Bounty Hunt
DANGER: ★★★★★

BRIEFING:

Several weeks ago, Mossdeep City's northeast side was hit by an unseasonal blizzard. While residents there are used to the cold in the wintertime, a summer cold snap has wreaked havoc on the lives of not just those in the affected area, but the entire city. Dozens of people have frozen to death in their homes from the combination of unearthly winds and subzero temperatures. The source of the storms is a giant Hisuian Avalugg that Rangers have named Deep Freeze. Its extreme levels of destruction and intelligence makes it a Priority One target for the Mossdeep Rangers. An Elite Ranger leading a team of seasoned Rangers has already lost his life trying to hunt down the dangerous Pokémon. Reports indicate that the Avalugg has a special defense against Fighting-type and Steel-type attacks; use extreme caution.

PRIMARY OBJECTIVES:

A) Rescue missing Ranger personnel
B) Eliminate Deep Freeze

Per your restitution with the League, this is the tenth of ten assignments you will complete without compensation.

Good luck! We're all counting on you.

They couldn't pay Josh enough to take on the assignment he had been given. When he had reviewed his restitution, he had failed to notice that one of the assignments to be completed was required to have a Danger rating of five stars: the highest possible rating. This rating was reserved for life-threatening operations. His first, to become an Elite Ranger in the first place, was to direct the relief effort for Hurricane Yellen and assist when able. His second cost his Doublade's life, a memory that came to the forefront of his mind as Ulysses pulled up to the cold, cold beaches surrounding Shoal Cave.

Wearing his Manectric SYGNA SUIT rather than his blue Elite Ranger uniform, Josh was sparing no subtleties. He was bringing his best team of six, including his Absol, who had at last recovered from her horrible injuries following a Gym Battle with . Withdrawing his Dewgong for his Manectric, it did not take long for Josh to take a seat astride the Pokémon he was best known for. Normally, moving from the back of a water-type to an electric-type would be asking for trouble, though not with his suit on! The squeaky sound of electrolysis surrounded him as the familiar field of static surrounded the yellow and blue wolf.

"I'm nervous," Josh sheepishly admitted to . "I swear if I wind up losing another Pokémon to one of these bounty hunts, I'm not taking any more of them. I'm only doing this because the League's restitution requires me to." With a deep sigh, he reined the Manectric into action, leading the way into the tundra-covered cave.

{WC: 470}
{PC: 1}

NAME            SPECIES           STATUS 
Saber           Manectric         Good
Aslan           Pyroar**          Good
Twilight        Absol             Good
Ulysses         Dewgong           Good
Mystic          Ninetales         Good
Jiujiu          Xurkitree         Good
close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Jul 9, 2023 23:32:40 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

This would be the most dangerous mission that Julia had ever taken on.

[break][break]And it was in a cave.

[break][break]Julia was bundled up for this unseasonably cold mission as she rode on Lazuli's back toward Shoal Cave's shore. She was unusually quiet as she recalled the mission brief... including the part about Josh's restitution. She had no idea if she'd been meant to read that, but it had been CC'd to her with the rest of the mission info. Doing such a dangerous mission without compensation... Normally, Julia would have protested, but after what Josh had done...

[break][break]Sheepishly, Josh admitted that he was nervous and afraid of losing another Pokémon.

[break][break]"You won't," Julia said, voice firm. "I've got your back. We're doing this together."

[break][break]Pushing back the thought of one of her precious partners losing their life here, she dismounted and recalled Lazuli. She hadn't wanted to bring Chester to an ice cave on a mission against a gigantic Ice-type, so she didn't have a land mount of her own. She'd have to borrow one of Josh's.

[attr="class","juliatag"]

[attr="class","julianotes"]

notes.

Move sets will be updated once my shop post is processed!

[attr="class","juliapokes"]

[newclass=.julia] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julia b] color: #d49736; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia a] text-decoration: none; color: #d49736; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #d49736; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia i] color: #d49736; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliatag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliatag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julianotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d49736; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliaw] padding: 40px; background: #272727; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julia span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliapokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #d49736; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliapokes img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
"With great speed comes great responsibility."
awards
6,119 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 11, 2023 4:17:44 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
As the two were about to enter the cave, Josh noticed Julia was on foot. His first instinct was to let her borrow Aslan, but if they ever needed to use HYPER VOICE, or Arceus forbid, a Z-Move, he figured she wouldn't like the vibration at all. Instead, the young man reached for the opposite side of his belt and undid the latch locking his Kantonian Ninetales' Poké Ball in. Out of it came Mystic, the golden, saddled fire-type's long tails blowing about in the cold sea breeze. "You'll be safer with Mystic." If Julia were to mount up, she would feel the Ninetales strap her on with a psychic harness similar to what Janus, his Espeon, used. While not a psychic-type, the fox did have limited psychic capabilities. "Ready when you are," the Elite Ranger sighed. "Remember, our mission is twofold. We gotta get Abel's team out of here, too. Can't let his death be in vain."

While his Sygna Suit was not of a fire-type, Josh's experience in the Ultra Wilds led him to believe the suit would offer him some protection from the elements, and it did. It turned the wintry chills of Shoal Cave into the blustery chill of a late fall day. It certainly wasn't comfortable, but it was far from unbearable. Reining his Manectric to the back of the cave, Josh pointed toward a frozen waterfall in that direction and took a look through it. "Holy..." the Gym Leader gasped.

Beneath them, on the other side of the waterfall, was a buried ice castle that was significantly below sea level, yet not covered in water or ice. It was something truly fantastic. Had Julia played more than one of a certain famous explorer's routes in the RONDEZ-VIEW OF LUV game, this would have looked eerily familiar.

{WC: 302}
{PC: 2}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Jul 13, 2023 17:19:48 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"Thanks," Julia said when Josh sent out Mystic for her to ride. She stroked the Ninetales' fur before mounting up. Though Mystic wasn't a Psychic-type, Julia still felt a psychic harness strap her in. Her smile at this was brief before she was reminded of just how grim this mission was.

[break][break]"Yeah. We should hurry and get to them." She hoped—no, she willed them to be safe.

[break][break]She followed Josh into the frozen cavern, her grip on Mystic's reins tightening. Josh seemed to be doing okay temperature-wise; his Sygna Suit must have been keeping him warm. The frozen waterfall was a sight to behold, but beyond it...

[break][break]"No way... Is that the Crystal Trench?" Though she'd never seen it for herself, it was one of the options in 's Rondez-View adventure. "The mission brief didn't say anything about this."

[newclass=.julia] width: 450px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: roboto; color: #aaa; font-size: 11px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julia b] color: #d49736; font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia a] text-decoration: none; color: #d49736; font-style: italic; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: #d49736; letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julia u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliatag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 20px; padding-top: 20px; font: 10px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.juliatag a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; [/newclass]

[newclass=.julianotes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px 40px 10px 40px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; [/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes h1] font: 14px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #d49736; text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.julianotes a] font: 11px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: lowercase; color: #d49736; [/newclass]

[newclass=.juliapokes] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: #d49736; padding: 5px; width: 440px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,119 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Jul 14, 2023 18:26:25 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
While Josh didn't immediately recognize the dangerous, frozen space, it clicked when Julia mentioned the Crystal Trench. "Whatever was so dangerous down there must have been dealt with, because there was not a No-Rescue Zone sign outside. When I first joined the force, we weren't even allowed to set foot in here on operations. I wonder if reclassified the place..." While Articuno would not be a danger, what with the two knowing each other on a first-name basis, there were plenty of other vicious ice-types down there. Furthermore, the farther under the sea they got, the colder it would get.

The view beyond the waterfall was striking; even the Elite couldn't help but gasp in awe at the ice castle they would likely be scouring. "Well, let's head in." He turned his Manectric toward a long, sloping pipe of ice that led them quite a way below the sea into what appeared to be a guard tower. It was nothing short of beautiful to see, the entire castle apparently composed of NEVER MELT ICE of varying densities and textures. The sight of water Pokémon swimming outside the tower's "windows" made the reality sink in.

This indeed was the Crystal Trench his friend had talked about on several occasions when they went out for a meal.

"From that phone game, right?" Josh brought up, rolling his eyes. "So it wasn't just me they stole information from. Now because of that damn game, every soul in Hoenn knows I want to be Raikou's Avatar. I don't get what's taking so long; the case against Macro Cosmos feels pretty cut and dry to me. The whole thing reeks of anti-privacy laws."

{WC: 280}
{PC: 3}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2023 22:41:26 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"Oh, yeah. There was something like that at the Mirage Palace, too. But it wasn't just the Pokémon that were dangerous. There were all kinds of weird traps and stuff." She thought back to when she'd played this part of Shalin's route. "I don't think there's anything like that here, but isn't this near where Articuno rests?" She recalled the news that Laurence Anderson had lost contact with his patron.

[break][break]The castle was really pretty, though, like something from a fairy tale. The whole thing seemed to be made of Never-Melt Ice, just like half of the Mirage Palace. It would have been exciting to explore if not for the grim mission they were on. Still on Mystic, she followed Josh and Saber down the pipe of ice into the guard tower.

[break][break]"Oh, wow," she whispered when she saw the Pokémon swimming outside. It was a beautiful sight... but also kind of a scary one. If anything happened to the Never Melt Ice that made up the castle's walls...

[break][break]"Yeah," Julia replied, grateful for the distraction. "I always thought it was something hidden in one of those really long user agreements that nobody ever reads. Like, 'By using this software, you agree to let us turn you into a dating game' or something."

[break][break]Her eyes suddenly widened. "Wait a sec, I think this is the part where—"

[break][break]"Grr...!"

[break][break]Julia whipped her head toward the dual growls and saw a pair of Beartic in one of the entryways. Their fur looked more bristled than usual, and they glared at the two trainers, as if daring them to make a move. Surprisingly, neither of them moved to attack... yet.

[break][break]"Hey, Josh?" Julia whispered over to him. "What moves does Mystic know?"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,119 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 1, 2023 17:32:00 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
"Oh Arceus, don't remind me of that place," Josh sighed. He had been there, too, as part of his test to advance up the Ranger ranks. It was a miserable place. Way too many tricks and traps, and falling for one could easily have put his life in jeopardy. "I went there one time, and that was more than enough. The Rangers really need to close that place off period."

The topic of discussion briefly drifted toward the Composed and his Patron. "I think so. And those two are... not on the best of terms right now. He challenged Mauville Gym with Articuno. I smoked him with Raikiri. It wasn't even close. I beat him by something like... six or seven seconds. It felt horrible withholding my Badge from him, but he needs to figure out what's wrong and right it. Then he can re-challenge and I'm sure he'll win. Articuno is ridiculously fast. There was just something going on between them that was preventing them from focusing."

Julia brought Josh's attention to the on-edge Beartic. "Yuck, these are a really territorial species. I doubt they'll let us through without a fight," he replied in a soft tone not far above a whisper. "If you want to be direct about it, Inferno is the way to go. Otherwise, Extrasensory. I really should have taught him Confuse Ray..."

Seated on Saber's back, Josh ordered the Manectric to use THUNDER WAVE if the ice-types charged at him. He hoped the crackling electricity would be enough to get them past the wary Pokémon without a fight. They didn't need more victims than there already were. Plus, they needed to conserve their energy for the real foe: the Hisuian Avalugg they were charged to eliminate. Hit missions were rare for Rangers to take on, which was another indicator of just how much of a threat this Pokémon was to Mossdeep residents.

{WC: 319}
{PC: 4}

close tab

played by

Alicia Jewel

she/her
July 5
Fortree City
pansexual
Ranger
Elite Ranger
Single
135 height
135 height
awards
612 posts
Julia Davis DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @julia
Julia Davis
POSTED ON Aug 6, 2023 20:30:28 GMT
Julia Davis Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","julia"]
[attr="class","juliaw"]

"Maybe," Julia said. "It's really cool, but it can also be really dangerous." She shivered as she remembered the invisible floor she had guided Shalin across.

[break][break]"Hmm... I wonder what it could be," Julia mused about the Head Ranger and Articuno.

[break][break]The Beartic were a more pressing issue, though. Like Josh, Julia didn't want this to turn into a full-on fight. She wished Mystic had Confuse Ray, but she'd just have to work with what she had.

[break][break]For several tense moments, both parties stared each other down. When Saber's fur crackled with electricity, one of the Beartic backed off, but the other just looked even angrier. It took a deep breath, then exhaled freezing wind that began to form an Icicle Crash above Josh and Saber.

[break][break]"Look out!" Julia shouted. "Mystic, Extrasensory!" She wanted to avoid using the big Fire-type attack in a room made of ice, even if it was Never-Melt Ice. Her borrowed steed concentrated her psychic power, then unleashed it in a psychedelic pink-and-purple swirl around the Beartic that distorted the space around it. The attack didn't hit as hard as Inferno would have, but between it and Thunder Wave's paralysis, the Beartic struggled to stand. It turned to growl something at its partner, who took off down the corridor.

[break][break]"Quick, let's go while it's down!"

close tab

played by

raikourider

Master of Faster
He/Him
December 12
Goldenrod, Johto
Straight
Mauville Gym Leader
Champion
Single; Not Looking
6'1" height
6'1" height
awards
6,119 posts
Josh Devlin DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @joshdevlin
Josh Devlin
POSTED ON Aug 7, 2023 4:42:06 GMT
Josh Devlin Avatar
Josh had little time to be concerned with Julia's musings about the Composed and his Pateon, though Mystic's EXTRASENSORY gave them plenty of room to retreat with. Behind the stairs they had descended from to get to this level was an ice slide that looked like they would go really fast on. "This way!" Josh cried.

Provided Julia would take heed, Saber would crouch after sliding onto the slope, prompting Josh to raise his legs and use his body weight to steer the Manectric around its winding corners. The slide would dump them into an arena-like area surrounded by an observation level on top. While there were no apparent threats for the time being, the blue fires surrounding the arena were quite ominous, and cold to boot. While Josh's Sygna Suit offered him low-level cold protection, he was feeling the chill of a cool fall day, an early snow about to pass.

"Have you ever seen blue fire like this before?" Josh asked as Saber stood, puzzled at how how something burning could radiate cold instead of heat. Those might be the least of his worries if the two stuck around in the castle's indoor battlefield...

{WC: 196}
{PC: 5}

close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
39,026 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
POSTED ON Oct 22, 2023 21:44:22 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]MISSION COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS:
(INCOMPLETE)