Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2022 2:05:29 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Today's task reminded Barnaby of his dive with . Covert, ROCKET-affiliated, potentially treacherous. More geared toward reconnaissance work, though, than anything monetary (like collecting heart scales). No, they were to hunt a supposed leviathan today. Or at least inspect a cavern rumored to house one, anyway.

He'd been assigned the mission with a newer recruit, one that Barnaby hadn't been acquainted with just yet. Ready to remedy that, once traveled down the dock and to their small vessel he'd offer the ROCKET a pleasant smile and amiable wave.

"Zev, right?" A question asked with an outstretched hand. "I go by Bee. Nice to meet you."

Without further pleasantries he'd usher the other ROCKET aboard where all necessary materials for their dive waited to be utilized. Barnaby had already donned his wetsuit and prepared his other equipment for use once they made it to their destination.

Additionally, if Zev were to look out over the far railing of the boat, he'd see an unusually-colored STARMIE, a DEWGONG, and a WALREIN treading water. All three Pokémon had been fitted with custom harnesses that included a detachable underwater camera (capable of infrared imaging and videography) and areas to grip for humans to grab hold. If the purported giant sea beast was down there, they'd be able to document it.

"You have much diving experience?" Barnaby assumed that Zev had been briefed beforehand and knew the objective for their mission, yet he still stated the obvious. "Could be pretty dangerous down there."
close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,672 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 21, 2022 11:32:51 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Investigating an underwater cavern for a supposed sea monster was not typically the sort of work Zev saw himself doing, but after extracting related information from one of 's victims, he'd found himself caught up in Rocket's greater plans. Intrigued by his briefing and expecting to get paid for the unusual task, he eventually agreed to go. He arrived at the docks of Sea Mauville in the blink of a teleport and approached the boat where his partner for the mission waited.

Zev gripped the proffered hand in a firm shake. "Likewise," he said with a friendly smile that matched Bee's, not meaning either one. The fact that Bee ranked higher than Zev in Rocket's hierarchy mattered little to the hitman. He'd see for himself whether the other man would earn his respect.

"I've dived before, but not often," Zev replied as he stripped down to a pair of fitted bicycle shorts and slipped into his wetsuit. "It's been a couple of years."

As he finished zipping up, he paced around the boat, taking stock of all the gathered equipment and noting the Pokémon waiting in the water. One thing was certain: one could count on Team Rocket to have prepared everything beforehand.

Zev paused as he gazed down at the Pokémon. Only his Pyukumuku could help them once they were underwater, and he doubted the little sea cucumber could do much against a monstrous leviathan. He'd have to rely on the Pokémon Bee provided for the mission.

NOTES
+ Event: Occupied Ocean
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 3:14:13 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
was either very courageous or very foolhardy to accept a mission involving advanced diving when he was so out of practice. In an unknown situation, where peril potentially waited around every corner in an environment not naturally built for them, decisions had to be made sometimes within seconds. Any hesitation could prove fatal.

But there was no going back now, so Barnaby simply nodded in acknowledgment before getting behind the wheel of the boat and setting them on course. Before long they reached their destination: a nondescript patch of ocean a distance away from Sea Mauville, but still within sight of the old facility.

We’re here.” Barnaby said, killing the engine and letting the ship's anchor fall to the depths below.

He strode over to the main deck where Zev waited, motioning to the three Pokémon that had followed after their vessel. "If you don't have a Pokémon you'd like to use, feel free to take the Walrein. He's stout and dependable. Won't need much direction."

Barnaby's cobalt eyes swept over the harnesses fastened around each of the Water-types' bodies. They looked intact after the journey, but he'd check again before their dive.

"Each of them has an underwater camera attached to their harness. Remember, we're only here to document what we discover in the sea cave. We are not supposed to engage with the beast if we find it." This was said for his Pokémons' benefit as much as Zev's.

If his partner had no questions for him, Barnaby would then begin the process of checking and securing his scuba gear. Once all of the equipment was safely in place he'd walk to the edge of the boat, sit facing inwards, and then lean back until his body left solid ground.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
Murderers are not monsters, they're men. And that's the most frightening thing about them.
awards
2,672 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 23, 2022 11:04:41 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
'Arrogant' was the word Bee was looking for.

Zev rarely found himself with a need to scuba dive for his work, so after the mission briefing, he did a quick refresher with a diving expert within Rocket — the same , but Zev didn't know that. He had to trust that his athleticism and instincts would make up for whatever practice he lacked. Not that he should have any difficulty with the mission, or so his arrogance made him believe.

Upon arrival at their destination, Zev listened in silence as Bee spoke. Zev made eye contact with the indicated Walrein, nodded at the Pokémon in a gesture of acceptance, and proceeded with the final preparations for the dive. All geared up and ready to go, he followed Bee into the water in an echo of the other man's actions.

The Walrein immediately sidled up beside Zev, keeping a small distance between them in case the man needed its assistance, but careful not to get in his way. As Zev swam downward behind Bee, the Walrein kept pace with ease.

Down, down, down they descended, encased in the eerie, muffled silence of the ocean. Fish Pokémon swam past them, small ones darting in schools, large ones gliding languidly through the water. Lights from the harnesses mounted on Bee's Pokémon illuminated the way and eventually fell upon a massive rocky outcropping. A craggy opening, like a toothed maw, waited for them just within the lights' reach. Zev gestured to get Bee's attention and point toward it, but the other man had likely already noticed.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 25, 2022 3:23:14 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Their descent into the darkness of the sea was slow and deliberate. Light from above quickly dissipated, necessitating the lamps fastened to the harnesses of his Pokémon. Evangeline, too, helped illuminate the murky depths using the periwinkle jewel at their center.

Despite the foreboding silence, Barnaby was hyperalert to his surroundings. Even before they'd traveled to the mouth of the cavern, his head was on a swivel, taking account of every passing creature or suspicious silhouette. Luckily, they swam without incident until they reached their destination.

A horrible, dark maw of toothy stone greeted and . To his partner's motion Barnaby gave a thumbs-up, the universal hand gesture of acknowledgement that anyone would recognize. To his DEWGONG and STARMIE, however, Barnaby signed for them to come closer and enter the cave ahead of the humans.

Barnaby had learned a little Sign language from by this point. It was time to put it to the test.

Waving for Zev to follow, the two ROCKETs ventured into the unknown. Given that this place was said to house a leviathan, it was indescribably huge - more so than any naturally-occurring cavern Barnaby had ever explored before. All five of them easily passed through the entrance and into the cave's first cathedral-like chamber.

What would they find as they continued onward?

close tab

played by

Banished

Ro
He/Him/His
April 14th
Wyndon, Galar
Homosexual
Ranger
Ex-Rocket Beast
shelter
from the storm
492 height
492 height
It's a long way forward, so trust in me.
awards
1,693 posts
Rowan Wrynn DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @row
Rowan Wrynn
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 3:10:50 GMT
Rowan Wrynn Avatar

PERILOUS PROBING

OCCUPIED OCEAN

You can't help but feel distressing unease as you delve deeper into the cavernous cavern, crushing blackness and silence almost like nothing you've experienced before. Small streams of light was all that guided you through the twists and turns of the rocky tunnels, uncovering the path ahead but not making the maze any easier to navigate. 

Bones of Pokémon and humans alike litter the cavern floor, becoming more numerous the further you explore. It was clear that something did indeed live here, and it was at the top of the food chain. While you haven't laid eyes on the creature, it seems this would be sufficient enough evidence for the task at hand. Yet, as you turn to leave, your body doesn't move.

A singular eye opens in the darkness, nearly the size of your entire body. It watches your struggle to regain control over your limbs, psychic tendrils drilling deeper until a gravelly voice permeates your thoughts. "WHY HAVE YOU COME HERE? DO YOU NOT FEAR DEATH?" Tentacles began sliding through the water, colossal in their own right. 

"NO MATTER, YOU WILL JOIN THE DROWNED ALL THE SAME." The telepathic hold over your body ceases, allowing the freedom of movement once more. It seems as though this beast demands the challenge of a hunt, and the unfamiliar ground you find yourself on is it's home.

Escape while you can.

THIS IS WHAT LURKS IN THE DEPTHS

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,672 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Jul 29, 2022 23:46:29 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
In his nine years as a hitman, Zev had been paralyzed, poisoned, burned, and all manner of other conditions thanks to his targets' Pokémon. Such early situations had prompted him to finally assemble his own team to distract enemy Pokémon while he eliminated their masters.

But never in Zev's career or life had he ever experienced this. This total immobility at the bottom of the ocean, surrounded by almost complete darkness, a telepathic voice seemingly crushing his very mind with its oppressive presence.

Zev was not normally a man who knew fear. But fear was the only word to describe the ice-cold, knife-like feeling that seized him in that moment. It was utterly alien, a sensation he'd never experienced before.

And it filled him with intense revulsion and rage.

The psychic power released its hold on Zev and Bee. They swam as fast as they could toward the mouth of the cave, Zev gripping the Walrein's harness with a hand. It was probably what saved his life, down there in the silent depths. When the tentacle wrapped around Zev's waist to stop him, the Walrein jerked too. The Pokémon immediately cried out, alerting the others, including Bee.

Zev writhed in the tentacle, one hand digging into the slippery skin. He wished he had a knife. Why hadn't he brought a knife?

Zev wanted to scream. With fear? With fury? Maybe both.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 6:54:50 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
He felt it before he saw it.

A constrictive force, invisible and impalpable. Psychic tendrils that held in place both human and Pokémon alike. Barnaby struggled against the vise-like sensation, but felt himself unconsciously still as a colossal eye opened before them.

Cold, unwavering dread washed over him. Quickly followed by heated panic.

He wasn't sure what he'd expected to find down here in the depths of the ocean, but it hadn't been this. Not something as sentient as the leviathan before them, imbuing horrifying words that filled Barnaby's mind to near bursting.

Mercifully, if one could call it that, they were released. Nothing but the thought of escape fueled Barnaby's reflex to flee. They'd already planned for this, after all - do not engage the beast.

Evangeline's periwinkle gem illuminated their mad dash back to the entrance of the sea cavern. From the pitch darkness tentacles slithered after them; Barnaby managed to evade, but Zev - WALREIN's cry of alarm alerted that his partner wasn't as lucky.

Now, there was a choice to be made.

Casualties in these types of scenarios were normally considered an acceptable loss. Something to be mourned but not reprimanded for. Barnaby could have easily explained the peril he'd found himself in, showed the footage of it even, and most would not have blamed him for saving himself.

Yet, in the spur of the moment, there was no hesitation as he doubled back. Unlike Zev, Barnaby did carry a knife on him. Always. And he used it to stab the damned creature down to the hilt. His Pokémon, too, rallied to the rescue. DEWGONG punctured the tentacle with his ICICLE SPEAR, while WALREIN impaled it with a two-tusked CRUNCH.

A murky film began to permeate the water - the blood of this unknown monster - but there was no time to acknowledge it. Barnaby grabbed for Zev's arm with enough strength for the man to finally be released, the tentacle that held him having recoiled in pain.

Once Zev was freed, Barnaby immediately seized his DEWGONG's harness and urged him forward toward the exit.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,672 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Aug 2, 2022 19:40:19 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Zev saw Bee stop at the Walrein's cry and turn around to see the commotion. A second passed as the other man decided on his next action, and during that second, white hot fear pierced Zev's chest like a knife. But then Bee swam toward him with his Dewgong and the fear fled, replaced with a wave of relief and renewed determination.

Once he was free from the tentacle, Zev clutched the Walrein's harness with both hands, letting the Pokémon drag him toward the mouth of the cavern at top speed. Bee and his other two Water-types swam alongside them, keeping pace.

Finally, the rock walls surrounding the fleeing group gave way to open water. They would make it out alive!

As Walrein surged through the entrance, Zev dared to glance back.

NOTES
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Aug 27, 2022 23:08:09 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
When glanced back, he would see a paralyzed ally, frozen just beyond the cave's gaping exit. The monster's psychic powers had immobilized him. Barnaby's grip was forced loose from DEWGONG's harness and, as merciless gravity took hold, he began to sink back into the leviathan's abyss.

Worse still, it's eldritch voice boomed in Barnaby's mind, seething and triumphant:

"ANOTHER JOINS THE DROWNED."

The only part of his body he seemed able to control were his extraocular muscles. While his body was stiffened beyond escape, Barnaby's eyes shuddered in abject terror. All too quickly the distance between Zev and his Pokémon began to grow as he floated downward.

A watery grave awaited him below.

close tab

played by

gunsmile

The Devourer
he / him
January 8
Lavender Town, Kanto
heterosexual
hitman
rocket beast
nenet nzingha
starstruck ✨
6'3" / 190 cm height
6'3" / 190 cm height
awards
2,672 posts
Zev Harcourt DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @zev
Zev Harcourt
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 3:00:17 GMT
Zev Harcourt Avatar
Now Zev found himself faced with the same exact choice as Bee moments before. He could keep swimming for the surface, with or without Bee's Pokémon; he was a strong swimmer and was certain he could drive their boat back to the safety of the docks. Or he could help Bee, in the same way the other man had saved him from certain doom.

Normally, Zev was not the kind of person to care for the lives of others. But a debt was a debt. He urgently tugged on Walrein's harness and pointed at Bee. The Pokémon cried out once more upon seeing its master frozen stiff and raced back, Zev in tow.

Snaking one arm around Bee's torso, he could feel just how stiff the other man's muscles were, as if he were a corpse in rigor mortis. Could Bee even breathe?

There was no time to find out. Zev hooked his other arm through Walrein's harness, determined not to lose his grip as the Pokémon shot out of the cavern's mouth and swam upward with powerful strokes. The Starmie and Dewgong followed at Bee's side to make sure no further harm came to him.

After what felt like an eternity, the five of them surfaced.

NOTES
close tab

played by

SHIV

GONGAGER
he/him
October 13
GONGAGA
gongaga-romantic
gongager
gongago
me?
gongaga
808 height
808 height
WHERE ARE UNOVA REMAKES
awards
38,912 posts
shiv DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @shiv
shiv
perilous probing [OO]
POSTED ON Aug 28, 2022 4:46:24 GMT
shiv Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","TRAINER"]
[attr="class","omaccepted"]
[attr="class","omacceptedtop"]THREAD COMPLETE!

[attr="class","omacceptedmid"]

YOU RECEIVE THE REWARDS BELOW:[break]

[attr="class","omacceptedlinks"]
[attr="class","omacceptedlinks1"]TAGS: