THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2022 7:01:03 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt4"]
[attr="class","main"]

There is a sense of déjà vu to it all.
[break][break]
It’s the maiden voyage of ’s new boat, and with a fishing contest having just begun due to the Slateport Splashfest, it seems like the perfect opportunity for both underbosses to relive the events that took place when they first met (sans the dead body, of course).
[break][break]
They’re going fishing, and even though Mars is the one who makes a hobby out of it, at least this time he doesn’t have to tell Gavin how to put together his fishing rod. Is it strange that he’s somewhat proud of him for it? Maybe just a little bit, but Mars doesn’t mind it.
[break][break]
”I have to hand it to you, it’s a really nice boat.” A slight smirk brightens his expression when looking at his friend from behind yellow aviator shades, his golden gaze then fixing on the water. The thin line goes straight down to a lure that bobs around in the waves. He just had set it up, so there have been no bites yet.
[break][break]
”Have you thought of a name yet?”
[break][break]
That’s the most important part, is it not?
[break][break]
At least it sure mattered to Mars when naming both of his boats.

[break][break]
GXo|O_ON

[break][break]
[attr="class","notes"]

MARS' FISHING RECORD

[break]
FISHING CHART FOR REFERENCE[break][break]
🎣 15.08 | MAGIKARP (3) - AVERAGE SIZE (35) [break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=.twt4] --accent: #60a697; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: calibri; color: #aaa; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .main] padding: 40px; background: #272727;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 h1, h2, h3] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .notes h1] font: 15px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 span] display: inline-block; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]·
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
creatures of habit, carrion flowers, growing from repeated crimes.
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 15, 2022 7:23:50 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Who'd have expected he'd buy a boat?

Certainly not Gavin, and yet here he stands on the deck of his very own vessel.

He laughs when Mars asks about the name. "The Codfather. Couldn't resist."

He'd asked for Mars' advice when buying the boat, and it had been his fellow underboss to suggest a vessel to suit his needs. It was fast, it was fancy, and it was fucking expensive, but that wasn't a problem for a wealthy criminal.

His line tugs gently in the water, and Gavin snaps to attention.

t4ZEmIjk

FISHING HAUL

15.08 AVERAGE MANTINE (74,26)
·
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 2:54:57 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
Temp was lounging. While and were galivanting around the Splashfest, Temp had been laid back on a pool chair. While they were getting dunked, he was dozing in the sun. While they diving, he was eating popsicles. While they were on the stage shaking their asses, he was listening to TERRAVOLT's (, , @sebastien) hottest new single on the build-in radio. Since he was injured it was the best he could do. His Riolu, Skipper, was laying next to him on a pokemon bed. 's Riolu from the Bond Study was standing at attention but distracted, unsure what to do with this offer of comfort and rest.

Temp hummed and flipped through a magazine, his fishing pole next to him. His Medicham was guarding it, her legs hanging over the side of the boat as she watched the water.

"Hey babe, can you toss me another juice?"

I FUCKED UP AND POSTED ON CHU-E FIRST BY ACCIDENT

here is a screenshot of my rolls!

GAINED:
Average Huntail
close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 5:12:35 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt4"]
[attr="class","main"]

The Codfather.
[break][break]
”Ha! That’s a good one. I approve.” Of course he does, but that much is to be expected when his own sailboat and yacht had been named Reel Nauti and The Liquid Asset. As Mars sees it, what’s the point in having a ship if you won’t give it a hilarious name? He’s sure , captain of the Sotally Tober, would agree with his statement, and he’s glad to know that does as well.
[break][break]
A Magikarp bites, but noticing that it’s just an average Magikarp with nothing special to it, Mars is quick to carefully remove the hook and let it back into the ocean. It’s one of his favourite species of fish, and the main branch of P.O.G Bank is notorious for its beautiful pond filled with Magikarp of fancy patterns, this one, however, can return to swimming freely in the ocean water.
[break][break]
”How are you doing over there? Caught anything good?” He asks both and , the latter who Mars is sure doesn’t know a single thing about fishing. Which, admittedly, is kind of adorable to him.

[break][break]
|YzOR1lw

[break][break]
[attr="class","notes"]

MARS' FISHING RECORD

[break]
👑 16.08 | MAGIKARP (2) - DYNAMAX SIZE (94) [break]
🎣 17.08 | SPECIES (00) - CATCH SIZE (00) [break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

[newclass=.twt4] width: 420px; margin: 0 auto; font-family: calibri; color: #aaa; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: .5px; text-align:justify; padding-top: 20px; padding-bottom: 20px; line-height: 15px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 b] color: var(--accent); font-size: 11.5px; font-family: trebuchet ms; letter-spacing: .5px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 a] text-decoration: none; font-size: 11px; font-weight: lighter; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 h1] font-size: 13px; font-weight: lighter; color: var(--accent); letter-spacing: .5px; line-height: 0px; font-family: monospace; text-transform: uppercase; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 u] text-decoration: none;border-bottom: solid 1px var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .tag] text-align: right; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-top: 20px; font: 11px monospace; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .tag a] font: 12px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; color: var(--accent)!important; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .notes] text-align: justify; padding: 20px; font: 10px monospace; letter-spacing: .3px; border-top: solid 1.5px #323232; height: auto;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .notes h1] font: 15px Montserrat; font-weight: 800!important; font-style: italic; letter-spacing: 0px; text-transform: uppercase; color: var(--accent); text-shadow: 2px 2px 0px #1e1e1e; padding-bottom: 5px; text-align:center;[/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .notes a] font: 10px Montserrat; color: var(--accent); [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .pkmn] text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; background: var(--accent); padding: 5px; width: 410px; margin-left: -40px; margin-bottom: -40px; margin-top: 10px; [/newclass]
[newclass=.twt4 .pkmn img] margin-top: -10px; padding-bottom: 5px; [/newclass]
·
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 16, 2022 8:14:53 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Yeah, I've got you."

Where he might've previously taken literally and lobbed a juice at him from the cooler, Gavin carefully untangles his catch from the line before going to hand-deliver the drink to his husband.

"Nice catch," he remarks, before turning wide-eyed to the behemoth of a Magikarp that has hauled in. "What the fuck are they feeding these 'karp?"

Shaking his head, Gavin returns to his fishing rod.

uYJQCtEv

FISHING HAUL

16.08 AVERAGE WISHIWASH (19,53)

·
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 3:04:31 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
Watch out, boys, you're in the presence of a certified fishing master.

Or, that's the air Barnaby was trying to give off, anyway. In truth, he knew absolutely nothing about fishing except that it involved handling long rods to catch what you wanted, which Barnaby felt he could commiserate with.

How hard could it be, right?

Still, he didn't want to look like a complete dumbass, so he dressed the part. Or, he tried, but most of the fishing vests he found online were a super ugly taupe color that did not jive with him. Luckily he'd eventually found a cute pink number that matched the floral cotton shirt beneath it.

Attached to the vest was this weird woolen thing that he had no idea what to do with (was it just decoration?) and clips for... bait? Lures? Cute charms? Yeah, definitely the third one; at least, that's what Barnaby used it for. Pink Pokémon pendants, including the likes of CHERRIM, FLAAFY, CLEFAIRY, etc. hung from the clips on either side of his vest.

Truly, if his fishing skills matched his fashion taste, he'd be catching shiny MILOTIC after shiny MILOTIC.

"Nothing yet!" Barnaby called back between sips of his canned margarita. Just as the words left his lips, though, something tugged on his rod (which he was only holding with one hand because this was Splashfest and he was obviously trying to get his buzz on). He nearly lost the damn thing to the ocean, but was quick enough to snatch it up before that happened. "Shit!"

OIpadptd

👑 08.16 | MAGIKARP (7) - EXTRA SMALL (8)
·
close tab

played by

yams

temporary
he/him
may 3rd
pacifilog, hoenn
big homo
housewife
beast
you are my
church tonight
6'2" height
6'2" height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,598 posts
part of
TAG WITH @temp
Tempest Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 3:32:49 GMT
Tempest Quinn Avatar
"Thanks, cutie." Temp winks at when he takes the juice. Mango flavor- one of his faves. Gavin really knew how to treat a guy. "I got a Huntail!" Temp held it up over his head, still wriggling to show . His thumb was popped in it's mouth; some people would thing that stupid, but he knew where the jaw hinge was so it couldn't bite the fuck out of him.

In the end, he handed it back off to his Medicham to toss back. He already had a really cool and cute Huntail.

As he was baiting up his next hook, Temp got a look at the spicy number that was wearing. A wheezed laugh left him. "I like the sparkle, dude."

2cRn3WAP

Obtained:
Average Huntail
Extra Small Huntail
·
close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 4:52:13 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt4"]
[attr="class","main"]

It sure takes some effort to reel in his next catch, and when Mars gets a look at the Magikarp, he can see why.
[break][break]
”Damn! Look at the size of this thing!”
[break][break]
is right: what are they feeding these fish?!
[break][break]
At least Gavin catch seems to be more average in size, a Wishiwashi like all those Mars himself has. , in turn, caught a Huntail, and Mars can’t help but laugh lightly when seeing it wiggling around. ”I’d leave it to you to catch a deep sea fish up here.”
[break][break]
That sure is an achievement in its own right.
[break][break]
As for
[break][break]
Mars looks at him while releasing the enormous Magikarp, and when doing so, a slight smile tugs at his lips. Barnaby had caught a Magikarp too, but this one is miniscule – barely more than fry, if Mars were to take an educated guess here. Adorable.
[break][break]
”Need some help there, Bee?” He smirks, and it’s then that his gaze falls upon the pouch attached to Barnaby’s vest. ”... Are those fly fishing lures?”
[break][break]
Yes, he’s judging. Harshly.

[break][break]
z3rRQQHK

[break][break]
[attr="class","notes"]

MARS' FISHING RECORD

[break]
🎣 17.08 | MAGIKARP (5) - AVERAGE SIZE (61) [break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

·
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 17, 2022 7:54:35 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Both things Gavin has fished up have looked relatively normal in comparison to the hulking behemoths and diminutive catches of his husband and their friends. He's letting the Wishiwashi off the hook when he catches 's comment to .

"I'm guessing nothing we're doing counts as fly fishing."

He's not very good at fishing himself, but he'd brought along a tackle box full of all different kind of lures and was prepared for any occasion. Of course, preparation doesn't save Mars from fishing up another 'karp.

Gavin casts his line back into the water. Softly, so that only can hear, he says, "This is kind of nice, actually." Only Temp was privy to the reason that Gavin's avoided fishing most of his life: like most traumas, it can be traced back to his father.

Something bites, and Gavin starts to reel it in.

wplhCJMA

FISHING HAUL

17.08 SMALL MANTINE (72,11) 👑
·
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
i fell for your magic. i tasted your skin. and though this is tragic, at least i found the end.
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 2:19:47 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
To he gave a warm, proud smile, even going so far as to swipe his free hand over the charms so they made a jingling sound. "Thank you, Temp. I always knew you had a stylish eye."

The tugging at his rod goaded his attention away from , but it turned into quite the anticlimactic battle in the end. With barely any elbow grease needed, Barnaby was able to reel in possibly the smallest MARGIKARP he had ever seen. Truly, it looked only just out of the egg. When compared to 's gargantuan catch, the thing was downright pitiful.

He tossed it back to the sea, but before casting his next line was interrupted by the fishing king himself. "... What the hell is fly fishing?" Deadpan, completely serious. "You're telling me there are different kinds of fishing?"

The offer for help was categorically ignored, for now. "And what's wrong with my lures? I bought the shiniest, most attractive ones I could find. The fish are drawn to sparkly things... right?"

was apparently in the know about whatever the hell fly fishing was, too. All Barnaby could imagine was him casting his rod from the back of an airborne LUGIA. Surely that wasn't what the two had in mind?

jAUDRaq_

🎣 08.17 | WISHIWASHI (11) - AVERAGE (44)

·
close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 4:22:42 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt4"]
[attr="class","main"]

"You're telling me there are different kinds of fishing?"
[break][break]
There is an audible sigh, because see, Mars didn’t come here to embarrass , but he also wouldn’t want him to live his life having completely mistaken notions about something that Mars himself considers a hobby.
[break][break]
”Alright, so… If you grab one of those lures, it’s almost weightless, right? Fly fishing uses a special kind of fishing rod to cast a really light lure as far as possible. Like if it were a bug falling on the surface of the water. That's why it's usually done in rivers, lakes, or inshore, and you’re up to your waist in the water. It’s not really my kind of thing. Too messy and cold.
[break][break]
While talking, he reels in another Magikarp. This time a regular one. Just as before, this one’s released, but Mars notices that the gigantic one from before seems to be staying close. Is it hoping to get a free meal?
[break][break]
”What we’re doing counts as spin fishing. It uses live bait or weighted lures, meant to go deeper in the water.” With that said, he smirks at both Barnaby, , and even , who he expects does know about all this. ”That’s it, boys. Some fishing knowledge for you.”
[break][break]
Just as he says that, the line tenses, indicating another bite.

[break][break]
M_1fqOQp

[break][break]
[attr="class","notes"]

MARS' FISHING RECORD

[break]
🎣 18.08 | MILOTIC (99) - AVERAGE SIZE (34) [break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

·
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 18, 2022 7:45:51 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
"Consider us schooled."

Yes, that was a fish pun.

Smirking, Gavin takes a moment to admire the beauty of the Milotic that had hauled up before returning to his own line.

"I'll take this over the diving any day. You know I cut my hand during that shit?" He holds it up to reveal a thin line of red along the inside of his fingers, where he'd grabbed for a mega shard a little too eagerly. "And don't even get me started on the Mantine."

bLf6WRZY

FISHING HAUL

18.08 EXTRA SMALL MANTINE (71,8) 👑
00.08 FISH SIZE (0,0)
·
close tab

played by

Dove

Admin Bee
He / Him
April 12
Lumiose City, Kalos
Pansexual
Broadcast Journalist
Admin
if you're lonely
come be lonely with me
6'0" / 183 cm height
6'0" / 183 cm height
awards
2,202 posts
part of
TAG WITH @barnaby
BARNABY FINCH
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 2:04:09 GMT
BARNABY FINCH Avatar
wasn't trying to embarrass him, and truly he didn't now, as Barnaby's ego wouldn't allow for it, but still.

"Wait... fly as in the insect?" His dejected surprise was almost palpable. They weren't going to get to fish from the back of LUGIA? Bummer.

Speaking of LUGIA, her patron's pun earned a groan of displeasure. Puns. The lowest form of humor. It was a shame liked them so much. Perfection was a tough bar to reach, Barnaby supposed.

"Alright. You've impressed me, del Mar. I guess you can come teach me the deep, intricate sport that is..." Barnaby had to pause and recollect for a moment. "Spin fishing."

He patted the seat next to him, smiling.

If the Underboss took him up on his offer, Barnaby would then lean in and whisper in a more serious tone, "So you're telling me all my beautiful lures are useless for this?" There was a touch of sincere disappointment to his words. He wanted to use his cute shiny things!

"Not the Mantine." He added more loudly, shaking his head at . "That shit was impossible."

7JOjvF4i

🎣 08.17 | WISHIWASHI (11) - AVERAGE (44)
🎣 08.18 | MAGIKARP (6) - AVERAGE (68)

·
close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 6:31:13 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar
[nospaces]
[attr="class","twt4"]
[attr="class","main"]

"Fintastic." Is the answer Mars gives to , pun matching pun, and when this is said, the most wicked of smirks tugs at his lips, his gaze meeting that of . After all, Mars is well aware Barnaby can't stand puns, which makes it all the more hilarious.
[break][break]
Then Barnaby asks for his assistance, but he doesn't really, so the answer he gets should perhaps be expected:
[break][break]
"Only if you say please." He winks, and yet this gesture is followed by a laugh, grabbing his fishing rod and putting it in a holder closer to where the journalist sits. Once that is done, Mars sits by his side, and it's when leaning in that he reveals the sad truth about all this in a whisper: "Out here? Absolutely. Though I'd love to see you chest deep in water while trying to fly fish."
[break][break]
That's all he says before reaching to help Barnaby get a better grip of the fishing rod, calmly moving his hands so he won't get pulled into the water when he manages a bigger catch.
[break][break]
"I swear the Mantine here aren't trained to surf, I've never struggled much when doing tricks with my own Mantine. I've always loved diving, but it kind of sucks with all those people around and all that shit scattered all over the sand."
[break][break]
Aren't amateurs just the worst? Well, some of them, at least.

[break][break]
UIZEA5Ar

[break][break]
[attr="class","notes"]

MARS' FISHING RECORD

[break]
🎣 18.08 | MILOTIC (99) - AVERAGE SIZE (34) [break]
🎣 19.08 | LANTURN (53) - AVERAGE SIZE (27) [break]

[attr="class","pkmn"]

·
close tab

played by

thorn

Gavin Merlino
he/him
october 28th
circhester, galar
demisexual
the harbinger
underboss
awards
7,871 posts
part of
TAG WITH @gavin
Cillian Quinn
THE CODFATHER [FISH]
POSTED ON Aug 19, 2022 7:36:23 GMT
Cillian Quinn Avatar
Both and seem in agreement about how terrible the Mantine surfing had been, though Mars seems to have more of a problem with the Pokémon than the sport. It figures that someone like him would know how to surf.

"I pulled off every trick, somehow." He smirks over at . "You'd have been proud. Or laughed at me. Maybe both."

In between successes, there'd been some mighty failures. Thank Arceus that there weren't cameras, like with the swimsuit contest, though he'd redeemed himself in the last round when most of the attention was on others.

"So why do they call it spin fishing?"

ST9Dafot

FISHING HAUL

18.08 EXTRA SMALL MANTINE (71,8) 👑
19.08 LARGE BASCULIN (22,84)
00.08 FISH SIZE (0,0)
·