shiv Avatar
[nospaces]

[attr="class","omgen"]
[attr="class","omgentop"]COMMUNAL CURRY

[attr="class","omgenmid"]

REVAMPED CURRY SYSTEM
ENDS MARCH 31ST, 11:59PM PST

CURRY SYSTEM REVAMPED

WELCOME TO THE REVAMPED CURRY SYSTEM! Every couple of months staff will create a curry mega thread.[break][break]

Each character of yours may submit a single completed thread to participate. Based on several factors such as the amount of threads submitted, quality of the thread (e.g. is it relevant to character growth, site plot, etc.) staff will reward players with a variety of rewards...[break][break]

Furthermore, THREADS MUST BE STARTED AND COMPLETED WITHIN FEBRUARY & MARCH, to promote what happened during that period of time & to encourage movement of threads and plot.[break][break]

Players will be required to post with the following:[break][break]

• thread title & link
  • brief summary of the thread
  • brief commentary as to why it was selected
[break]

This will serve as a player curated ‘thread of the month’ montage to showcase threads that are either important to their character, a thread they would want to show off, or had fun participating in.[break][break]

Curry rewards will be determined by the quality of thread submissions, thread types, the total amount of submissions and more! Afterward, a post will be made with further instructions about redeeming the curry rewards.[break][break]

An example of past communal curry can be found here: COMMUNAL CURRY #1.

OPTIONAL TEMPLATE

FEEL FREE TO USE THE CODE BELOW, to provide your character's single entry to the communal curry.[break][break]

[blockquote][a href="https://pkmn-hoenn.boards.net/"][h1]THREAD TITLE[/h1][/a]
[h2]character's curry entry[/h2]
[b]thread summary:[/b] write here

[b]why is it important?:[/b] write here[/blockquote]

close tab

played by

myriascope

rosie
she / her
October 14
Vermilion City, Kanto
unknown
demolition expert
Civilian
But I still believe, someday this lie will set me free
awards
4,741 posts
Eris Halla DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @eris
Eris Halla
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 12, 2022 4:49:41 GMT
Eris Halla Avatar

ECLIPSE

eris' curry entry

thread summary: In a trip to Petalburg Woods, Eris meets Matias once again
why is it important?: It's just a really fun and spicy thread - but also, the long literary breakdown is in the spoiler below
Another thread that explores the strained relation between Matias and Eris, where both are survivors of Kanto but one has stayed with the League and the other has joined Rocket. This thread comes months after the murder of , where Eris witnessed her adoptive father die at the hands of . The grief drives her to make choices she'd never have thought herself to make and begins to pick at the thoughts she keeps buried after the Kanto war.

In this thread, I personally liked how we go back into exploring what drives Eris to make her choices and how she hesitates no matter what choice she makes. Choosing to leave Rocket and live with the League sounds like a natural option for a kid like her, but her familial bonds that she's made with people in Rocket and Matias' clear hostility towards her and Reiner makes her think twice. It taps upon the story that has told her regarding the failures of the League and feeds into her need to find a family after being orphaned at an early age.

And yet, she's still doubting if being with Rocket is the right choice, whether trying to protect the unfortunate ones makes her a bad person just for picking that side. She even goes as far as to question whether she actually agrees with Matias over the fact that Chu-e should have died. She's griefing over the loss of a father-figure, extremely confused as to how she actually feels, lacks experience that comes with age, is far too naive regarding how the world should work and can only hold onto the values that her mother has taught her.

Over time, her plots will be exploring her hostility towards the League, how far she's willing to go to be accepted as a true Rocket and what she's willing to sacrifice to protect what she believes to be her family. So overall, I think this thread was probably a really good starter into her descent towards understanding what she wants to do!
close tab

played by

Ceej

a. z. fell
She/Her
December 21st
Fortree, Hoenn
Bisexual
Surviving
Civillian
we could
have been us
5'8" / 172 cm height
5'8" / 172 cm height
i'm just a demon who goes along with hell as far as she can.
awards
1,311 posts
ana fell DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @cygne
ana fell
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 15, 2022 17:01:22 GMT
ana fell Avatar

LITTLE BLACK CARD #1

cygne's curry entry

thread summary: OKAY SO THis ended up being great on so many levels so i'mma break it down for you:

1) FIRST OF ALL we're spending mr silph's money by using the slateport limitless card gave to so we're extending THAT plot which also gives them something to talk about if spirele and scarlet continue their socialization.

2) SECOND is allowed to rediscover some of her childhood passions in horror and writing and elisa is FULLY SUPPORTIVE of it which is important for Cygne personally because as we see her shift into this very Rocket-climbing focused person she's more or less finding pieces of herself that she buried away as a child. like she's rediscovering what makes her herself instead of just being the perennial worker bee in society.

3) the most important part to ME is the affirmation that Elisa is not a monster, actually, which, like, past the fourth wall is obviously easy to say me and scarlet talked about it OOCly but that's actually how Cyg thinks and it was an important connection for her and Elisa to be like there is no such thing as the void staring back into you, you're not a horrible person for saving yourself no matter what you had to do. and part of it is Cyg being like "murder is okay actually" but i think it was an important part of both her and Elisa's development to verbalize that even IF Elisabeth told Cyg what had happened with her husband Cyg would have her back no matter what.

4) and then finally, the job offer that Scarlet whipped up was definitely NOT PLANNED until we got to the end of this thread and it was INGENIUS. scarlet is a wizard of whipping up stories and connections and already had, like, six plotlines in her head immediately after suggesting Cyg take the job at the flower shop. so you have the advancement of Cyg's personal story where she moves out of her shitty apartment and to Petalburg, but also her advancement in the Rocket org bc Elisa is going to teach her to poison ppl and she's also gonna be Elisa's delivery girl for her, like, shadier things. And then there's all the flower shop interactions this opens up like uhh if Barnaby swings by to hit on Elisa and finds Cyg instead, stuff like that. So you see this story that started with a chance meeting during the affection's confections mission begin to branch out and expand and really it's Scarlet that is the brains behind the operation, I just work here lol.

this isn't BRIEF im sorry
close tab

played by

Kost

Dragon-hooded girl
she/her
August 10
Fallarbor Town, Hoenn
Asexual
Minor Gym Leader
Ace (Civilian)
5'11" (180 cm) height
5'11" (180 cm) height
I wanna become a Pokémon!
awards
1,658 posts
part of
TAG WITH @andreavaneau
Andrea Vaneau
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 23, 2022 10:46:07 GMT
Andrea Vaneau Avatar

Who we are meant to be

andrea's curry entry

thread summary: gets trapped inside a space-time distortion, where she meets who has aged up into a total chad due to timey-wimey weirdness. Together they fend off a bunch of prehistoric monsters that attack them, until the distortion fades away and Kazimir reverts back to his proper age. Andrea is flustered upon realizing that he's an elite four member.
why is it important?: this thread showcases Andrea's growth as a trainer, able to hold her own when teaming up with a much more experienced fighter, to the point Kazimir commends her skills. There's also a continuity nod regarding the monthly HNN articles, since Andrea is able to recognize both what a space-time distortion is and the fact that Kazimir is an elite four member due to reading about it on HNN. Not all news are fake!

close tab

played by

Blue Star

Hideo
he/him
October 18th
slateport
undecided
Gym Leader
Ace Trainer
smol height
smol height
i used to dream in the dark of palisades park.
awards
2,423 posts
Hideo Kino DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @hideo
Hideo Kino
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2022 0:36:06 GMT
Hideo Kino Avatar

THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND INTO BATTLE

hideo's curry entry

thread summary: gets invited by into a cave, without being told why he was invited. This extremely suspicious request was actually a surprise battle against Diancie, as a way for Melody to test Hideo for if he'd be a potential AQUA member. It's a close battle, with each side Mega Evolving and duking it out. Diancie eventually ends the fight, acknowledging Hideo and Melody's skills as trainers.

why is it important?: While Hideo has been fairly close to one AQUA member ( ), this is the first time AQUA has turned its eye towards him (likely because said member he's close to wanted him as far away form AQUA as possible). This gives him an in with the group, potentially leading to further plots with it and its member, as well as developing his friendship with Melody. He also had a good chance to show his skills as a trainer, even without the aid of a Telepathic Pokemon.

It's also the first time Hideo's personally met Diancie - even getting to shake its hand. He even gave it a good first impression.
close tab

played by

Pilo

Melly
she/her
July 9
Lilycove
Straight
Idol
Elite 4
Navy
Dating
5'6 height
5'6 height
hoenn
awards
3,226 posts
Melody Miro DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @melody
Melody Miro
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2022 4:04:26 GMT
Melody Miro Avatar

The blind leading the blind into battle

Melody's curry entry

thread summary: Melody and Hideo battle Diancie together and overcome (just barely) to claim victory thanks to hideo being the difference.
why is it important?:This thread is important to Hideo's growth as a trainer and really cements how Melody wants to invest and train the future generation of league trainers in case something happens to her, leaving the region in capable hands. On top of that this is her first time doing any sort of Mission as a representative of the AQUA initiative as she's scouting for talent to join their ranks. This is also helping a minor plotline of Melody slowly becoming more and more conscious of her loses that are starting to haunt her.
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Lisa Bortiforte
She/Her
August 30
Camphrier Town, Kalos
Bi/Heteroromantic
Bioterrorist
Underboss
Unattached
Black Widow
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
5'9" / 175.26 cm height
Bury me in the roses and rot; I'll come back thorned.
awards
4,364 posts
part of
TAG WITH @elisabeth
Elisabeth Fiorelli
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 25, 2022 23:27:11 GMT
Elisabeth Fiorelli Avatar

PEACE LILIES

elisabeth's curry entry

thread summary: After a harrowing experience in the Petalburg Woods with forces her to face her unaddressed grief for her parents head-on, Elisabeth decides to revisit her hometown in Kalos -- Camphrier Town -- to visit her parents' graves. Unable to face them alone, she brings with her , who is both her greatest friend and the one who is the most unaware of the skeletons lurking in Elisabeth's closet.

why is it important?: This thread is the culmination of so many threads of hard work. I have a lot I like about this thread, so apologies in advance!

I'll start with people who aren't explicitly in this thread. Captain and I have had a blast in our thread Flowering Distortions, where and are both faced with literal ghosts that haunt them. For Elisabeth, two memories resurfaced in particular: one of her horrific late husband, and one where she stood before her parents' graves in Kalos and felt shame for having killed the once-innocent version of herself they had raised and nurtured with love. The former she shakes out of due to a conversation she had with , and the latter she breaks from due to the words of : 'Or, does your lost love define who you are, Miss Fiorelli?'

Elisabeth has buried her husband, but she has yet to bury the guilt she feels regarding her parents, and hating the knowledge that she has become something that would shame them both. A resolution to face that shame is met, and she decides to go to Kalos to overcome it once and for all. Not alone, however.

So, why choose Gigi? The friendship with has been beautifully explored in Beneath Star-Kissed Wings and Wilting Flowers, the latter of which alerts Gigi to Elisabeth's difficulty with being touched, and hints that life in Kalos had been less than kind to her. The ways that Gigi responded to Elisa in those threads are why Elisabeth chose her ultimately for this journey, because Gigi is kind, and patient, and offers grace in the face of someone's pain. Picking her for this thread was natural, and I was so delighted that Laika took me up on it.

This thread breaks down Elisabeth as a character, piece by piece, until she allows herself to grieve -- not only for her parents, but for the person she used to be. It shows the guilt and self-loathing that eternally plagues her, and the belief that she is no longer a good person or even a person worthy of kindness or compassion. The 'Gigi' parallels of Georgette and her mother, Georgiana, were not initially planned but once we found them I couldn't stop tying them together. Elisabeth even comments on them aloud.

The ending is a closing of a small, but significant arc: Elisabeth, like the flowers she tends, abhors unexpected human touch and contact. Yet by the end of the thread, Elisabeth has accepted her need for it outweighs her fear, and that she trusts Gigi enough to be a source of that closeness. Laika's writing of Gigi's comforting friendship is exquisite, lovely and thoughtful, and I wanted to showcase it as much as possible in the final post by indicating how much each and every word resonated with Elisabeth in its conclusion. The Elisabeth in Wilting Flowers couldn't even be touched on the knee without triggering a response. By the end of Peace Lilies, she feels safe enough to hold Gigi in gratitude, and like she is allowed to forgive herself, just a little bit, for the person she's had to become to survive.

close tab

played by

socks

litton wickham
he/him
september 25
lumiose city, kalos
???
webnovelist / council assistant
civilian
if desire is the heart’s intransigent verb.
awards
353 posts
nagi miwa DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @nagi
nagi miwa
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 26, 2022 6:27:06 GMT
nagi miwa Avatar

WELCOME TO HOENN

nagi's curry entry

thread summary: nagi goes out to get dinner and returns home with trauma fried rice, courtesy of

why is it important?:
1) nagi’s first face-to-face exposure to rocket — both reinforcing the idea that rocket is not an organisation to be messed with, but also that they might be more than the dangerous terrorist entity that the news presents them as.
2) it’s a precursor for dilemmas that are likely to come: this is nagi’s first taste of adventure — except it’s not as picturesque as in the stories he reads and writes. what will he do with the knowledge that, perhaps, the league is failing to protect the people? yet, do the ends justify rocket’s brutal means? — from a potential plotline standpoint, could nagi’s yearning for adventure, his attraction towards extraordinary stories, draw him towards rocket? much to think about
3) also this is my very first thread since joining hoenn and it’s just really funny to me if it’s chronologically one of the first things that happens to nagi after reaching hoenn. *pokemon narrator voice* it’s a new day, in a brand new world! what adventures await— that is a corpse.

close tab

played by

Fonz

Masculine
October 19
Slateport City
Bisexual
N/A
N/A
Daylight
In bad dreams
6'1" height
6'1" height
Just keep running. It's what you do best, isn't it?
awards
2,412 posts
part of
TAG WITH @fonz
Adrian Malcolm
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2022 5:03:01 GMT
Adrian Malcolm Avatar

STRIKES TWICE

'S CURRY ENTRY

thread summary: Characters and are stranded in a space-time distortion and must escape using only what they brought.
why is it important?: Although it seems unimportant and simplistic, the reason this thread is important is because it, like a handful of others are allowing Adrian to build something of a trust and camaraderie between himself and another Rocket member. This is something that he normally wouldn't do and is helping to bring him into the fold. It's also one of several threads where they've established similar interests in the phenomenon and other areas of study. They are building a working relationship.
close tab

played by

Alfonz

He, Him, His
August 4
Rustboro City
Curious
Busboy, Ranch Hand
Cadet
18 height
18 height
The comeback is always greater than the setback.
awards
97 posts
part of
TAG WITH @alfonz
Aedan Quigley
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 27, 2022 19:29:46 GMT
Aedan Quigley Avatar

STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED

's curry entry

thread summary: Aedan (finally) decides to run away.
why is it important?: I'm taking Aedan a direction where he can (hopefully) feel less restricted by the (self-enforced) headcanon of his parents holding him back; I've got something in the pipes related to space-time distortions and involving that is going to build off this development, and the aim is to bring Aedan up to speed with Hoenn's userbase so that he's not landlocked to Rustboro. That's the plan.
close tab

played by

spiral

silph
SIR
twenty-nine
august 12th
saffron
oppressive
silph co. ceo
council member
POWER IS TAKEN, NEVER GIVEN—SO TAKE WHAT YOU ARE OWED
awards
8,737 posts
part of
TAG WITH @silph
FERNANDO SILPH
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 28, 2022 0:56:28 GMT
FERNANDO SILPH Avatar

SILPH X FIORELLI

's curry entry

thread summary:

and meet at the speed dating event. they discuss loss, elisabeth’s wedding ring, and fernando gifts her a gracidea flower when their time runs out.

why is it important?:

this thread is my highlight of the period for several reason, both ic and ooc.

one of my favorite aspects in roleplay is continuity. when people ask for threads, i highlight that i want them to be purposeful. many times, people interpret this to mean that it must be some super deep plots, which is rarely the case. it just needs to feed into something or be something i can refer back to for organic world building.

their speed date sets in motion a chain of events that have culminated in a thorough and expanding plot!
  • fern meets elisabeth at speed dating. (this thread)
  • users her services for palentines. her gives her a card as thanks. (scarlet ic event)
  • elisabeth treats cygne to dinner with the card. (scarlet x ceej thread)
  • fern comes to elisabeth about the gracidea seeds. (our current thread)
it’s not too complicated. doesn’t involve world shattering events or anything super deep. however, the fact that each one happens and feels like the logical aftermath gives it an organic feeling of growth. it’s plots and threads like these that make the world of hoenn feel alive to me.

in-character, i adore how the characters seem to match but still contrast thematically.

they’re both polite and uphold certain courtesies due to their upbringing. it’s not hostile but still holds a certain amount of tension. like a game of cat and mouse. there’s a fatal attraction on the surface but it’s nothing more than being among the oldest in a room full of people who are both physically and mentally younger.

narratively, we slightly touch on the people they were married to and lost. it’s for different reason, with eliabeth seeking freedom while fernando wants nothing more than to hold onto what he had with elysia. the baggage of their relationships still dwells on them and it’s something we get to explore if only as flavor text.

overall, it was a fantastic thread and a great opening to a very fun event in hoenn. despite the brevity of the thread, and the usual brevity of my post, i found it both easy and encouraged to write more as i delve into parts of fernando i seldom get to touch.

thanks for the thread !
close tab

played by

Evan

pace :3
he/him
november 23rd
mistralton, unova
bi
ranger
cadet
satashriq alshams ghadan
awards
119 posts
Pace Mahmoud DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @pace
Pace Mahmoud
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2022 13:59:28 GMT
Pace Mahmoud Avatar

TURN AROUND

pace's curry entry, ft.

thread summary -

pace is called out to an aggron sighted in petalburg woods to go help the big dude out, but comes across mars. due to their shared history - namely pace's direct involvement in the plot to murder mars' wife - things come to a head, involving mega evolution, guns, and setting the woods on fire.

why is it important? -

pace has always been the kind of person who gets away with a lot of stuff - he hurts people's feelings by sleeping around, he's lazy, he doesn't finish anything he starts; but he can get away with it by charm, or sweet-talking, or plain old charisma.

but with regard to natalia's death, there's really nothing he can do to get away from the fact that his actions caused one of his best friends to die, and his other best friend to grieve deeply as well as hate his guts. it eats him up inside, but even here, in this thread, he tries to shrug off the responsibility and make excuses.

the first time properly meeting face-to-face since her death, and mars and pace are bringing out the worst in eachother already :monkas: this is a plot arc that'll continue to grow and build, and this is definitely one of the lower points
close tab

played by

evan

izzy
he/him
october 1st
castelia city, unova
gay
mechanic
grunt
grumpy
do not perceive me
50 height
50 height
co było, nie wróci
awards
180 posts
part of
TAG WITH @izydor
Izydor Baranowski
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2022 19:24:17 GMT
Izydor Baranowski Avatar

GOOGLE SEARCH: HORSE ROLEPLAY FORUM

izzy's curry entry

thread summary -

izzy returns to mt. pyre to check on his carrots, only to find that a curious spectrier has been drawn by their aura. over the next few days, his sleepless nights are filled with thoughts of that spectrier, culminating in an attempt to ride it, and izzy discovering a little about himself in the meanwhile.

why is it important? -

izzy's been spending a lot of time on mt pyre recently, looking after the ghosties (both his and the wild ones), so to have this kind of mini-arc ending with meeting and capturing a legendary is a nice outcome for him. he cares for ghost types bc he worries that they don't get a lot of love from the majority public, and can relate to them a little. being "chosen" by spectrier means a lot to him, even if he's not really at a place to process it that way just yet.

izzy suffers badly with anxiety and panic attacks, and the rolls were really good to me in this thread in order to make the narrative work well. he rides spectrier, but does so badly, and ends up freaking out about it - is he even good enough for this? why would he be chosen, and not someone more deserving?

but then he takes a deep breath and calms himself - something he's been awful at doing for years and years. for me, this thread represents a little lightbulb in izzy's head: sometimes the world listens when you put out what you want to get in. even though he didn't keep spectrier, i think he learnt a good lesson from it that he'll be putting into use in future panic attacks. hehe
close tab

played by

Scarlet

Amber "Berry" (Former Stagename)
She/Her
October 27
Goldenrod City, JOHTO
Bisexual
Model/Actress
Civilian
All publicity is good publicity, if you know how to monetize.
awards
74 posts
Amber Lenoir DOLLARS
part of
TAG WITH @amberlenoir
Amber Lenoir
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2022 20:49:06 GMT
Amber Lenoir Avatar

OMG U R TOTES PRESH

amber lenoir's curry entry

thread summary: Amber Lenoir attempts to go on a speed date to appease her publicist, Cynthia. Poor is the unlucky recipient, and chaos ensues.

why is it important?: I almost didn't have Amber go on a speed date, because she's such a bad date. I knew she'd be texting on her phone the whole time, being chatty but miserable at conversation, and just obliviously trampling all over her partner's boundaries as she's trying to remember what dating is like.

I did like this thread, however, for a few reasons! One being the sharp contrast between Amber and Klaus as people. Whereas Amber is brash and rude, Klaus is awkward and anxious, always second-guessing himself and trying to make a good impression. Amber, on the other hand, could sorely benefit from second-guessing herself more often.

Their date is a confusing mishmash of personalities that Amber basically storms through like a rampaging bull while Klaus is left trying to piece together a greater meaning from the chaos: Does Amber like him? Is she making fun of him? Or, wait, is she just clueless and crass?

This leads to a few new plot points: one being a photoshoot that Amber gets Klaus to agree to at his lighthouse, and Amber having a much more positive view of herself as a date partner. The next being being jealous to hear that Amber is dating, which culminates in the romantic undertones of my latest threads with Rabbit. Most importantly, this leads to a follow-up speed date where confronts and makes him hand over his phone to remove Amber's cell number from his contacts. That thread, in particular, lets Klaus show a different side of his personality -- one that knows when he's being mistreated, and stands up for himself.

In the end it sets the stage for three very different characters to explore different parts of their personalities than usual, which I think all three of us thoroughly enjoyed!

close tab

played by

Azul

Mars | Tuesday
He/Him
August 4th
Canalave City, Sinnoh
Bi / Demiro
POG Bank CEO
Underboss
Veni. Videre. Vincam.
awards
4,525 posts
part of
TAG WITH @mars
Martín del Mar
COMMUNAL CURRY #2
POSTED ON Mar 29, 2022 22:04:00 GMT
Martín del Mar Avatar

To the Elysian Fields

Mars’ curry entry ft.

Thread Summary:
After having been injured and coming close to death during the events of 11th Hour, Mars feels defeated and as if all of his efforts over the past few months have been for nothing. The encounter with the Lake Trio had a devastating effect on him and he’s at what could be considered his lowest point in years, so when he accidentally ends up at his neighbour’s place instead of his own that very same night, is faced with the sight of a man much different from the one he knows (who is also covered in blood, to make matters worse).

Concerned over Mars’ state, Barnaby does everything he can to make sure that he’s okay and to bring him some semblance of comfort, which is rather surprising to Mars, since he rarely finds himself in a position where someone else is looking after him (much less concerned about his well-being).

This night marks a huge shift in the relationship that exists between the two of them, and for reasons that Mars himself doesn’t completely comprehend just yet, he chooses to trust Barnaby and confide in him – speaking of what happened and sharing things that he hasn’t spoken of with anyone before. Ultimately, it’s thanks to Barnaby’s help that he’s able to overcome all those negative emotions that consume him on this night, and that is bound to have a lasting effect.

Why is it important?:
There are multiple reasons why this thread is important, so I’ll try to split them in the way that makes the most sense…

When it comes to overall arcs, To The Elysian Fields is somewhat of a resolution (or the beginning of the resolution) following the climax of a months-long plotline for Mars. 11th Hour is a thread that took months of plotting to even get to happen, since Mars had to meet each participant and find out about their prophecies/charms in order to be able to put the pieces together and then invite everyone to a meeting with the goal of learning more about the Lake Trio’s intentions. To The Elysian Fields shows what the immediate consequences of 11th Hour’s events were for Mars, and what a huge impact they had on him.

Rarely do I get a chance to write Mars feeling insecure, doubtful, and much less fearful, so I also find it to be really relevant in that regard. Mars is usually incredibly confident and acts as if nothing can bring him down, but having almost died and hearing the Lake Trio’s fatalistic portents (about how the future is lost and their choices don’t matter) really managed to bring him down, and it’s thanks to Barnaby that he was able to pick himself up again.

There’s also the fact that Mars is well aware that his almost dying was a direct consequence of his own actions and his need to understand things. The thread explores the dangers of his curiosity and his refusal to give up and let things go even if he knows it could potentially kill him, and the reasons why this refusal occurs to begin with. It’s deeply introspective, and talks about aspects of who Mars is as a character that rarely come to the surface.

With all that in mind, this thread also marks a change in his relationship with Barnaby, and is hugely important in that regard. Until this point, Mars and Barnaby had had a friendly and flirtatious relationship, but they’re both really guarded characters who hide a lot about themselves, and they hadn’t really seen much about each other beyond what they show most people. The fact that Barnaby is so concerned about his well-being and seems to care so much for comforting him really surprises Mars, because it’s not often that he meets people who do so without seeking to gain something from him. In this thread he sees aspects of Barnaby he had never seen before, and comes to feel as if he’s someone he can rely on.

Mars is not the sort of person who often trusts others, much less relies on them, so him choosing to do so is always a huge deal for me as his writer. Being in such a vulnerable state, he chooses to share things with Barnaby that he has never shared with anyone in Hoenn, and speak about some of the darker aspects of his life, as well as what his true motivations are. It’s raw and emotional and it definitely will have an interesting effect on things between them going forward.

What’s more, throughout the thread there’s also often glimpses at something much deeper developing between them (motivations for their actions that they don’t really understand, feelings that are there but they refuse to acknowledge at this time, and so on). It’s something really amazing and lovely to explore, and I’m really excited to see how things between them continue to develop and how their bonds strengthen even more. I love the amount of callbacks to past threads between them, the amount of references made, and how there's seemingly small but meaningful details between established throughout the thread (for example, the reference made in name of the thread itself).

This is my favourite thread I’ve written in all of my time in Hoenn, I got really emotional when reading each update and that’s largely because Dove is such a wonderful RP partner. Her posts are always so lovely to read and beautifully constructed that they inspire me when writing my own, and I’m really thankful that we decided to do this plot together. Barnaby is an amazing character with so many different layers, and I can’t wait to discover more about him as we continue to RP and develop things between him and Mars. I'm really really thankful to have Dove as a friend and RP partner.

Thank you for the incredible thread, Dove ♡